Couple questions about iPhone upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silofolous, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Silofolous macrumors member

K, I've never upgraded a phone before, never had an iPhone, so I have a couple questions.

First one, to upgrade to the iPhone 4 with a full upgrade eligibility, would it be just the $18 upgrade fee, or the fee and the $199/299 for the phone? I can't imagine AT&T would give iPhone 4's for a measly 18 bucks, but it isn't clear to me and hey, truth is stranger than fiction.

Second, They said that anyone who is eligible for an upgrade in 2010 gets bumped up. I am eligible on 12/8/10, but I haven't been bumped. After watching the keynote, I discovered that it said 6 months earlier for eligiblity. So would that mean that I would be eligible next month?

Thanks for helping an iPhone newbie.

2. Mercaptan macrumors regular

To the first: it'll be $199/299 for the phone, plus $18 upgrade fee (which just seems like gravy for AT&T).

To the second: I don't know but, that raises an interesting question of whether eligibility dates already include the 6 month shift or not.

3. Silofolous thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for answering the first question.

As for the second, I will say that it had said 12/8/10 for the past 6 months at least, so it's not already bumped up.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

one thing nobody has mentioned here on the board yet is that AT&T and Apple charge you tax on the full retail price of the phone ($599/$699), then drop it down to $199/$299. last year I paid $250 + $18 upgrade fee ($18 was on my bill, not up front) for my iPhone 3GS 16gb.

So just an FYI if you trying to budget correctly.

5. Mercaptan macrumors regular

That did not happen when i bought mine in Georgia, although this may certainly differ state by state. My phone was $299 with $20.93 tax (which is the 7% for combined state and county sales tax).

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I have mentioned tax in other threads, just not how much!! :D