couple questions about Q

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zuplar, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

so i have been looking around for the best option on how to run XP, on both bootcamp and using a VM, and came across Q. my question is can i use Q to run xp from bootcamp? is there something else that will do this that is free besides VMware Fusion?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That depends wether it can boot real partitions or only disk images.

I can't tell after a quick look at their site, but the likely answer is that you'll need VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to use your BootCamp partition as a virtual machine.

3. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

yeah i looked on their site, but couldn't really find the answer. Q just looked like a really clean interface, so that's why i was interested in it.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think Q emulates a pc, so you can run xp in os x. Don't expect any of the special features of parallels, however.

5. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

yeah i understand what it does i was just curious if it could run from a partition also.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think you can. Like I said, you won't get a lot of features out of free software like Q, but it's good at what it does do.