couple questions about sharing network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikemikeass, Nov 30, 2008.

1. mikemikeass macrumors newbie

my macbook uesd to local at the concer of my house, and i m using wireless to get on the internet because my room doesnt have a lan cable. because the wall blocking the signal, so my iphone cant connect to the internet well.
    so i descide to share the networt via my macbook.
    However, i cant share my network wirelessly via ethernet because i didn't have a lan cable, is there any method to make my macbook be a access point without ethernet?

Recently ,i brought a xbox 360 and i decided to connect the xbox with my macbook via a lan cable.does it work to share network like this ? thanks bro

2. mikemikeass thread starter macrumors newbie

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm just hypothesizing, but you could buy an access point that can run as a client (there are a few out there), connect it to your wireless network, then hook up the ethernet cable to your Mac with a crossover cable.

Doing Internet Connection Sharing on your Ethernet port allows you to share it to clients on your Airport connection (essentially turns your Mac into an AP)

A more simple solution would be to use a access point as a range extender. Many that have the same functionality to act as a client can also act as a repeater.

I've never done any of what I've listed above, so I can't help much more than that.

Edit: I just looked at my WG602 and it has a repeater mode that you just need to supply the MAC address of the host access point.

4. mikemikeass thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for replying so there is no way to share network without a working lan cable in my macbook?