Couple questions about Tethered JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Synergie, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2011
    Halifax, Canada
    1.) If I do the iOS5 tethered JB, and accidentally reboot the phone not tethered.... are all my JB apps kept in tact? i.e.: The next time I reboot tethered again, will everything be back where I put it?

2.) Once the untethered JB comes out, can I just re-JB back over the untethered? Or do I need to restore again and set up everything again from scratch? (That would be a pain in the butt,... it takes me a good 2 hrs to re-install all my JB apps and set things up, every time I upgrade!) If I can just apply the un-tethered JB OVER the already tethered JB, without needing to reinstall everything, then that's ok. If not, I'll have to wait it out... I don't want to re-install everything twice.
  2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2009
    1) Nothing goes wrong when you boot in untethered. You'll just be stuck at the Apple logo until you put your phone into DFU and boot from redsnow.

2) I don't think you'll be able to jailbreak OVER the tethered jailbreak. However, what you can do is backup your stuff through an iTunes sync, and then restore to a normal unjailbroken build, and restore from your backup...that'll at least give you all the settings and stuff of your non jailbroken stuff.

I don't think you can carry over all your jailbreak stuff directly unless you manually do it, or use a program like PKGBackup to backup your jailbreak stuff...though I don't know if that works with iOS 5 yet.
  3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2011
    Halifax, Canada
    Hmmm ok... that answered it then, I have to wait for untethered. I don't want to spend 2 hours installing JB apps twice. :( Hopefully it will be soon... especially since I know that Lock Info now works (beta anyway)
  4. labman macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit
    read up on Pkgbackup in cydia it's a paid app but well worth it! ;)
  5. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2011
    Halifax, Canada
    I had a problem with pkgbackup before... It hung midway through installing Glasklart HD and I had to end up installing mostly everything manually anyway :( So Now I just do it all from scratch. But it takes like 2 hours of installing with all the reboots and resprings that some of those apps like to do! I might try queuing some of them next time so that it applies several apps / hacks at once.

But I am gonna wait for the untethered. I just have to find other things to do in the mean time besides playing with my phone.. LOL since it just frustrates me being not JB. I can't believe Apple still won't get with it!

Still no calendar events / weather on the lock screen wtf?
  6. Sc00tr macrumors regular

May 28, 2011
    I wrote 2 shell scripts that u can run. 1 will back up the JB apps (not any data). The other will install the apps in the list. I dont think that I can upload the files so I will just post the contents. Just past them into a file and ftp it over to the phone. You can use ssh or a terminal program on the phone to execute them. They need to be run as root. BTW I dont know how to back up and restore the source/repository lists, so if anyone knows how to do that let me know and I will add that also.

To backup -
    (then copy the file onto pc - /var/mobile/cydiabkup.txt) -

# Backs up the cydia apps
    # needs to run on the iphone

dpkg -l > /var/mobile/cydiabkup.txt

To install -

# Installs packages into cydia.
    # need to run on the iphone

dpkg -l | grep ^ii | gawk '{print $2}' > /var/mobile/cydianew.txt
    cat /var/mobile/cydiabkup.txt | grep ^ii | gawk '{print $2}' > /var/mobile/cydiabkup2.txt
    diff /var/mobile/cydiabkup2.txt /var/mobile/cydianew.txt | grep ^\< | gawk '{print $2}' > /var/mobile/cydiainstall.txt

# now install
    #apt-get -y install `cat /var/mobile/cydiainstall.txt`
    for i in `cat /var/mobile/cydiainstall.txt`; do apt-get -y install $i; done

# cleanup
    rm /var/mobile/cydiabkup2.txt /var/mobile/cydianew.txt