Couple questions about used Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matts290, Jan 14, 2013.

1. matts290 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new here! Just got a Macbook for dirt cheap because I have been wanting to try out OSX for a good while. Its a early 2008 Macbook white with 10.5.8 installed. Has a Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz and 1GB memory.

First question is, how can I update to the latest version of OSX that is compatable with this notebook. From what I understand my macbook will not support 10.8 Mountain Lion, but will support 10.7 Lion. 10.7 does not appear to be available for purchase on apples website. Also, is there a way to install a completely fresh copy of the OS, this notebook currently has loads of programs and files and seems to be bogged down by it, so I wouls like to start fresh if thats at all possible?

Second, the battery is dead in this notebook (part of why I got it so cheap). I see that there is a lot of batteries on ebay for around 25 bucks, but I am not sure if these are crappy off brands that will just die again in 6 months. Do I need to buy the official replacement from Apple.com, or is there a cheaper alternative?

Finally, I plan on ordering some more RAM, it looks like it currently has 2 512 sticks. How hard is it too upgrade the memory yourself, and how much would be optimal./supported if I plan on trying to upgrade to 10.7

Thanks for any help, sorry for the newbie questions!

2. RedCroissant Suspended

1. It's an intel macbook and what you need to do first is get a copy of OS X 10.6 snow leopard to have the Mac App Store app installed. From there you can download 10.7 from the App Store.

2.If you don't have the original installation disks, then you can't do it. What you can do is create a new user account(with admin privileges), and then delete the other account and all of its info.

3. buy a battery from OWC. www.macsales.com

4. If you go to everymac.com, you should see the specs for your machine regarding the RAM and then be able to better decide what you would like to do. Apple states that it officially supports 4GB RAM, but some people have been able to get it to recognize 6GB by using one 4GB module and one 2GB module.

You're welcome and definitely no need to apologize for asking questions.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

4. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I just like to add that Apple has removed 10.7 Lion as a download from the Mac App Store. You need to find a .dmg file of some sort elsewhere.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I think someone somewhere will have either the .dmg or something that they could use. Apple might even be able to provide it at a retail store.

6. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

It might be possible to get it installed in a retail store. Although when they have a .dmg on a USB stick or whatever, it will always mean a clean install for OSX lion. Beware of that. They are, however, not obliged to do this for you since it normally goes through the Mac App Store.

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I have heard that you can call Apple, buy Lion over the phone, and they give you a redeemable code in the App Store. Enter the code, and you can download Lion.

So may not be for sale in the App Store, but it is still on their servers and can be downloaded (In fact, I bought it when it was new and I can still download it any time I want).