Couple questions before deleting a User Account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeonTV, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MikeonTV macrumors regular

I bought this Macbook Pro (10.6.3) second hand and the user account was the name of the guy I bought it from. I'm tired of always seeing his name pop up when I have to access my Home folder and since the only way to change that is to create another admin profile thats what I'm going to do.

Once mine is up and running I will delete the old account but first I have a question.

Is there a way I can transfer over things like my Adium accounts and History, My Applemail email addresses and history and my Firefox settings, plugins ect without having to duplicate them?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You would be better of popping the osx disc in and restoring it to factory condition. Everything from the previous user will be gone

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Mike, have you read the Accounts articles in Mac Help?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Most of these settings can be found within the users Library folder, in it's Application Support and in it's Preferences.

/Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library
    /Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support
    /Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Preferences

Mail
    /Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Mail

Firefox
    /Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Firefox

Address Book
    /Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Address Book

These will also have associated preferences in the preferences. Usually labeled in com.maker name.program name.plist such as Apple Mail being com.apple.mail.plist.

I would create a folder called transfer in your hard drives root directory and move all these files there. Then in your new user account copy don't simply move the files to their appropriate locations in your new user account. To copy hold down the option key while dragging the files you will see a green + symbol indicating the files will be copied not moved. You need to do this so that the files will easily get the appropriate permissions to be usable by the new account.