Couple questions from a new member!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nates0819, Jun 20, 2013.

1. nates0819 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm in the active army and I am deploying to Afghanistan in less than a month. I finally chose the laptop I'm getting for my "vacation". I'm getting a 2013 MacBook Air 13inch. So I have a few questions if you don't mind ;).
    1. I'm going to need a DURABLE case, recommendations?
    2. I don't know if we will have Internet over there, so would you recommend a good means of Internet access Incan just plug into the computer? ( as you can tell I'm no computer whiz)
    3. Is this computer good enough for gaming? I've never gamed on a computer. I also do not know if I will have time for gaming but its worth a shot.
    Thanks for your time and help!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Durable? Yes. Although I wonder whether a TOUGHBOOK is not better for you.

As long as where u going got WIFI ur all set for Internet access.

Air meant for light, not heavy-duty gaming.

3. techn0lady macrumors regular

1. I use this case - cheap, lightweight and just works really well. Definitions of durable vary but this is a thin hard plastic case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I4BS1E/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. You do have internet over there. Purchase a thunderbolt to ethernet connector from apple if yu want to get wired connectivity. If you're looking for a hotspot that works over there - that I don't know.

3. The MBA is good for light gaming . It runs kerbal space program just fine and i'm sure it would run most steam titles in single user mode.

4. MeatRocket macrumors regular

The real question is where in Afghanistan will you be? Networks out here are very diverse depending on where you go.

Don't worry so much about a "durable" case as such. Worry more about securing it so it doesn't get stolen and having cans of compressed air (you can get them at the PX) to blow the incredibly fine dust out of it before the fan seizes up & it overheats.

Get whatever you need before you leave the States. You can get some stuff over here but buying anything online, especially Ebay, might be a problem. Of course, it might be a problem regardless if you get the wrong seller.

5. nates0819 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I will be in Kandahar and I'm not sure what the wifi situation will be.

6. MeatRocket macrumors regular

The situation is this - you probably won't need a wired network connection. You'll have wireless service in your room & at the MWR, but nowhere else. It'll be painfully slow, 1Mbit download MAX.

The only wired connections are at work. If you plug your personal laptop into the network or are discovered with an unapproved device anywhere in an IT area (even if it's off & in a bag), they will confiscate it, destroy it (most often with a hammer) and nail it to the wall of shame. I'm not playing, I've seen flip phones, smartphones, and even iPads done this way. They take great pleasure in destroying the most expensive toys they can find so make sure you adhere strictly to the rules on that.

You can obtain approval to bring your personal device in (extremely rarely granted) but it must be registered & receive an asset sticker. You still can't plug it into an Army network, but you can use the gray lines (separate VLAN running on Army backbone network) that can be used to transfer data. I'd strongly advise against using these for anything but legitimate access to data you own. Any bit-torrent traffic, etc. will be identified and then - see the wall of shame above.

If you're keeping all of your data on your Macbook, I'd strongly advise using FileVault to encrypt your data. If you need more storage, I'd definitely suggest a Western Digital MyBook Essential or MyPassport portable. The reason I suggest them is that they have 256 bit AES hardware encryption built-in. You set a password that has to be entered everytime you plug it in. If someone steals it, you don't have to worry about your personal data being perused by a theif.

Last but not least, you might pickup a cheap electrical line conditioner here. Most power comes from generators that occassionaly either spike in power or brown-out. That can be quite stressfull on electronics and the $40 spent on a line conditioner is a small price to pay considering electrical damage like that won't be covered under your warranty.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I didn't have a MAC in Iraq, but I had a Laptop and it was hard to keep clean. Like Meatrocket said, the dust is really fine, like baby powder. When a dust storm comes, it will get in everything. I'd buy a low end/used/refurb if I were you.