Couple questions from a potential buyer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mullet Parade, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Mullet Parade macrumors newbie

Alright, before you behead me I tried searching and I honestly didn't see the answer to this question.

I'll be purchasing a MacBook Pro 15" this weekend and was wondering if I'd be able to do small upgrades at the Apple Store. Basically I just wanted to grab the 7200 RPM drive and glossy screen. Is this something I'll have to order online or would they be able to take care of that in store for me? Like would I have to pick it up the next day or something?

Also, and this is a serious question, is the revision coming in June really worth the wait for a casual user? *ducks and runs*

Thanks guys. :)

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I believe all build to orders have to be through the online store. The glossy/non glossy should be an instore option depending on stock though.

The update looks to be a reasonably big one going by rumours, but if you're a casual user, why the MBP and not the Macbook?

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

For the first question, I'm pretty sure they only have the base models in the Apple store. So if you want a BTO option, you are best to go with the online store. You can check at your nearest apple store though.

For your second question, not worth the wait for casual users. Penryn MPB is fast and I'm enjoying it. And the June MBP is really just speculation.

Also, as Dr. Atheist put, Macbook may be more suited toward you since you are a casual user.

4. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess I should've specified "casual". I'm a designer and basically looking for something to throw CS3 onto. I pretty much use a PC at home with CS2 and I'm sick of dealing with converted files, mismatched typefaces, and bringing a bunch of flash drives to and from work. I think I'd really benefit from the larger screen and speed of the MBP. I'll be updating my portfolio soon and my PC with CS2 isn't cutting it anymore. Since I don't really want to stick around at work longer just to work on portfolio stuff I think it'd be nice to have a MBP to work on at home.

If it's truly worth it to wait a couple more months I'll wait. The price of the 15" won't go up though will it?

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Some Apple Stores including my local one do stock stock a 15 inch 7200 RPM configuration in VERY limited quantities and is ONLY available in matte (in store). Best to call up your local apple store and ask.

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Just to tell you, you should go to read the Mac rumors guide where it compares the MB to the MBP. The thing is Macbook can handle CS3 just fine.

But who am I to tell you that?

Also, the MBP price has remained the same I think.

7. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright well I guess I'll be ordering online then...in June. :(

I don't know if I'd do so well on a 13" screen.

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Oh ok then go get the MBP then. I'm just leading you to the right direction.

And in the end, just pick what is going to be the best for you. I Chose the MBP because I do heavy video/photo editing, and play 3d games that MB can't handle because of the integrated graphics card. (And I liked the look of MBP better).

9. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I definitely appreciate the help. I was planning to get the MB but in the end the specs that were only available for the Pro won me over. I just with the MBP came in black. Hey, maybe the upgrades in June will offer a black option.

10. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Does anyone know if a apple store also sells the MBP 15 2.5ghz with 512mb video card?
    Thanks a lot

11. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

call them?

12. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

So does anyone know how reliable these "rumors" usually are about the upgrades? I mean how often are they actually true?

I would really like to get a Pro in the near future and am willing to wait but if June rolls around and nothing happens I'm going to feel like a moron.

13. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

And it says the revision might be out in Q3 which is July-September right? I don't know if I want to wait til September to buy a laptop that I might not like the looks of.

14. Mullet Parade thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, how long does it take to get your MBP when you order it online?

Any answers to my last three posts would be appreciated. :p