Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Small family business where everyone runs OS X, about a half-dozen machines total. We decided to set up OS X Server so we could centralize resources like contacts and calendars, as well as to keep files everyone is working with. I've got a background dealing with web hosting, so I thought I would more or less know what I'm doing, but now that I've got it set up, I'm about a foot over my head. Got a couple questions to help me get my bearings; any help is appreciated!

Big starting issue here: Since turning on Server, it seems that every folder on my machine down to /Users has become a shared folder. Is there a simple way to restrict this to specific folders on the computer?

Setting up a VPN at server.[insert name].private, and I've been able to access it from the server itself and a Leopard box on the network, but an Air running ML that was also on the same network returned an error that stated the server didn't exist. What should I look at to try and fix the visibility issue?

Thanks for the help!

alain651

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
Halifax, Canada
You need to set up and create your User & Group name and give then access to the share folders, this will fix your problems...

Also some good information to read is:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

also lynda.com on apple server video... its an excellent learning tools.

you should get a proper Domain name so you can post your website, setup DNS and have proper VPN... using local name is very limited

Hope this can help

Emilio G

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
West Palm Beach, FL
The way I got my feet wet with Lion Server and transitioned to ML Server was to go to YouTube and checkout videos by a guy named Todd Olthoff.

His videos cover every service of Server and they run about 10 to 15 minutes each. They are AWESOME.

I would recommend starting your Server from scratch and go along with him in setting it up.

If you have any other questions, simply ask. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.