Couple questions on 3G ipad2s ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hokiepokie07, Mar 25, 2011.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

First question, if I purchase a 3G iPad 2, do I have to use the 3G, or can I just not purchase a package?

Also, is there any difference in the 3G ipad 2 compared to the wifi?

I don't need the 3G, but I'd be willing to buy the 3G iPad if it's exactly the same as the wifi and I don't need to purchase the 3G Package.

Thanks!

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

You don't need a package. And the only difference is the sim card slot and the black antenna on top if the device.

And i we believe the rumors then the mic on the 3g is worse that the on in the wifi

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You don't have to use or sign up for 3G service. I purchased the 3G just so I had a way to get service when I travel. It won't be used much but like knowing I can use it if needed.

No differences besides the sim tray and antenna.

4. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm thinking about purchasing it. My fiance travels some for her job, and I figure that if she or I need it in a pinch, we can always sign up for it for a month or something.

I just wanted to make sure there were no glaring external or internal differences in it.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

also remember that the 3G units have a REAL GPS unit and it works great!:eek:

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - Yep. The iPhone can send GPS data if tethered, but only updates once per minute, so it's terrible for driving. I got mine for the piece of mind, but ended up loving the all-in-one internet availability.

7. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I also have a 3G releated question.

I have a Three internet dongle with a sim card in it. If I cut this down will it work in my iPad?

Thanks for any replies.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Probably carrier-specific. I know here in the states that AT&T is able to tie SIM to IMEA number and was 'catching' people who changed from the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 without informing them. You might call and ask (but be careful not to give any personally-identifiable information so you don't get flagged ;) )

9. jdcell100 macrumors regular

3g

I hade ever gps made Tom Tom maggellon and ever other high end one there is. Best one hands down is copilot live hd. It was only 29 dollars and it has every bell an whistle looks amazing on the iPad who ever has a 3G this would be first app I would buy. Ok second plants vs zombies first

10. Krandor macrumors 6502

and that is the great thing. You can turn it on for a month and then turn it off. Works great that way.

11. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I use the $15 ATT service on and off in the months I needed. No problems signing up. I also got a prepaid SIM card in Mexico City that I used for a week with the AT&T 3G iPad model.

Have upgraded to the iPad2 - works just the same

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

They weren't catching people going from iPad 1 to 2, they were after people swapping the SIMs between their iPhone and iPad, instead of paying the extra $20/month for using the iPhone as a hotspot. I swapped my SIM from my iPad 1 to my iPad 2, and haven't heard a peep from AT&T.

13. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Can you give details on the Mexican SIM? Carrier, cost, was it a micro-sim, easy to do, etc.?

14. likegadgets macrumors 6502

This was a few months ago and Best Buy in Mexico City was providing free Micro SIM cards for both Telcel and Movistar that could be activated with a prepaid plan.

I used a Telcel - you buy "Amigo" prepaid cards (sold all over). And you can buy different prepaid packages.

Here is the Telcel current page for iPad:

http://www.telcel.com/ipad/planes.html
    and
    http://www.bat.telcel.com/planes_internet_amigo.html

The prepaid plan for 7 days (up to 700 MB) is $199 pesos (About $17 USD) and for 30 days 3GB is $500 (about $ 42 USD).

To get the micro Sim card you will need to walk into a Telcel or Movistar store. My office had prearranged to pick up the SIM card when I needed it so do not know the current requirements.