couple questions on jailbreaking 2.2 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by palmerc2, Nov 25, 2008.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

ok, so I have read the iPhone dev blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/61060174/the-man-from-delmonte-he-say-yes#disqus_thread)

and there are some things I don't get. I currently have jailbroken 2.1 using PwnageTool (mac), and works great.

ok so here are my questions,

1. when I was jailbreaking 2.1, i had to download a 2.1 .ispw package to then modify and that's what i used with my iPhone, why isn't there a link to download one on the blog for v2.2?

2. when i find that, do i go straight into PwnageTool (I have the new version specifically for jailbreaking 2.2) and jailbreak it? or do I have to update through iTunes first to 2.2, then jailbreak 2.2 with PwnageTool?

I am sort of new to jailbreaking, and to be honest, don't know the difference between jailbreak and unlock,

so layman's terms would be much appreciated :)

If it is any help, I am still currently with AT&T, and plan on sticking to them

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, the link:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/61060174/the-man-from-delmonte-he-say-yes#disqus_thread

will offer several links to quickpwn or pwnage depending on your use of Mac or PC. Those links will walk you through the process of JB, so everything is made easier. I also have (5) AT&T Family Plan 3G iPhones and three of those are JB, so I've had your same concerns. Jailbreak is the utilization of 3rd party apps for use on the iPhone (I'm sure that there is a more technical explanation, but this is what works for me), and Unlocking is the utilization of another SIM card, unlocking procedures w/o SIM card switching, or switching to another service provider to replace your current carrier, (eg. AT&T switching to T-Mobile). Like I said there's probably a more technical explanation, but I don't want to make this thread post too long. Good Luck...