Couple questions - sleep waking, Safari tabs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MSM Hobbes, Jun 29, 2011.

1. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Using my white C2D MacBook, using Safari 5 or FF 4, with 10.6.7 SL, I've the following two items:

1. I'll put the MacBook to sleep via clicking on the drop-down list when hitting :apple: at upper left... the MB will sleep after few seconds, but then sometimes hours later I'll find it with the screen still off, but the fan is spinning, Airport is connected, all is awake besides the screen. This can occur when I put the MB to sleep, w/o any different s/w and/or tabs being open... just Safari open, for example.

...maybe or not related:

2. Is there s/w or app that would show which website via which tab is using so much resources that the fan on my C2D MB will on occasion spin quite fast, over 4k and 5k, tickling 6100 sometimes? Even w/o changing / closing tabs, it will speed up, slow down to the mid 3k range, and then speed back up. I know due to that there is not a dedicated graphics card, that this will cause issues when viewing a video and/or Flash heavy site. But even when reviewing the ~12-24 tabs that may have open, none have either videos or Flash. Again, this is w/o any other apps open,,, just Safari.

thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Under System Preferences and the Energy Saver section, is Wake for Ethernet Access checked?

That might be your issue.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may find some ideas here:
    Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    If fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. If there is increased heat, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. You may have a runaway process.

4. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmmm,,, looking there,,, and no, that is not checked. One of the web sites I do have open constantly is Intellicast, and I notice that it tends to want to refresh itself - could there be something with that?

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's possible; there is a small script in the HTML to cause a page to auto refresh. Try closing it for a while and see how your computer responds. Plus look into the options GGJStudios mentioned.

6. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks much for the links.

Based on these + the previous poster (thanks to you again too), looking at my system prefs, under Energy Saver for 'Power Adapter', the slider was all way to the right 'never'... but its always been there,,, yet nevertheless, I've moved it to the 3 hour selection.

Will look some more at these... right now, time for me to get some sleep!

Again, thanks

7. brapmac740 macrumors member

brapmac740

You sure you don't have any heavy-hitter processes running in background?

8. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as actual s/w programs...
    - Safari [~15 tabs,,, none w/ Flash, etc. that I can tell]
    - Preview [one image]
    - Word [one document]

Right now, CPU is 144', the heat sinks are 131-133', HD 92', enclosure base 85', mem bank A1 is 121', the Northbridges are 126-128', and exhaust was spinning at 4600-5300 rpm's, but now is slowing down (for now) to the 4000 area. :confused: