Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GomerBoy, May 17, 2019.

1. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

1. I have a WiFi only Apple Watch S4. Is it possible to receive phone calls when my watch is connected to WiFi and not my phone?

2. When I leave my phone in a different room and take my watch with me and they disconnect, once I bring the watch back into Bluetooth range of my phone, will any texts I missed be automatically sent to my watch?

Thank you for the help!

2. Knight3 Suspended

1. If I remember it right, only the FaceTime calls would come through on the Watch in case of an out of range non-cellular version. For normal calls you need to be in the range of your iPhone.

2. NO! You won't get notified of older notifications once you're back in the range of your iPhone.

3. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

1. You can definitely get calls to your watch if you are still connected to WiFi. I read about it online. Will test that out today to make sure.

2. Do you think that is something Apple will change in software updates in the future? Is that possible?

4. Knight3 Suspended

1. I think for that you need to have the Wi-Fi calling enabled for your devices. Like NumberSync from AT&T that’ll enable the calls on every device even when out of range.

2. Since Apple is counting on the Watch being independent of the iPhone for most part, I don’t think there’ll be a need for this.

5. mk313 macrumors 6502a

My experience is slightly different than the prior poster, so here's what I've experienced.

1. I think this depends on your carrier. I have Sprint & they have some kind of iCloud sync service that does allow you to take calls on your watch, iPad, etc. I forget the exact title, but once I enabled this, I was able to get phone calls on all my devices, even with my phone off.

2. This does work for me, but not always. It seems to be a feature that isn't fully developed. If my watch goes out of range & then back into range (I have a cellular version, but part of the trail I run on doesn't have coverage), many times I will get notifications once I get back into range, but I have also had a several times when I didn't get notified, and I only saw the alert later when I got back to my phone.

6. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed that I will get emails I missed sent to my watch when I come back in range of my phone, but I don’t get any missed texts. I guess Apple is still developing it like you said.

7. waw74 macrumors 68040

I have a s3 no-lte

1. I have T-Mobile USA, and can send and receive regular phone calls and SMS from the watch, with the phone off.
    iMessage and FaceTime audio also work without the phone.

2. the notifications won't be sent to the watch, but if you open messages app, the messages should be there.

If you have wi-fi in your house or wherever you are....
    when the watch looses bluetooth connection to your phone, the watch should switch to wi-fi (and notifications should be forwarded)
    (you need to have 2.4gHz wifi for it to connect to)

The wi-fi radio is off (or in a very low power state) if your watch has bluetooth connection to your phone, so just leave wifi turned on if you aren't already.

8. mk313 macrumors 6502a

According to this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204791 text notification will only be sent to one device (phone or watch) or the other. It will go to the phone if the phone is unlocked, and will go to the watch if the phone is locked or asleep, so that must be what's going on with mine. When I'm away from the phone, if it's asleep, then the notifications are going to my watch. If it's awake, then they are going to the phone.

9. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

1. Is that only when you are connected to WIFI with the watch though (and the phone is off)?