Couple quick questions before purchase

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
So I am getting ready to get into podcasting, and also just recently got a gopro hero 4 black and want to be able to edit some 4k video as well as do the audio editing for my podcast etc. Best Buy has a great deal on the 13.3" 2.9 with 8GB of ram and 512 HD. My questions are is this enough for what I am wanting to do, and down the line can I upgrade ram or is it now soldered and I will be stuck with the 8GB?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hi,

The RAM is soldered, so consider what you may want or need in the future as well. You may also want a quad-core CPU (therefore consider a 15'' model) for a more fluid 4k editing experience. The 2.9 modern dual core could handle it, but you'd get a much better experience out of a quad - especially for such high quality footage edits.

I hope this helps.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

The RAM is soldered, so consider what you may want or need in the future as well. You may also want a quad-core CPU (therefore consider a 15'' model) for a more fluid 4k editing experience. The 2.9 modern dual core could handle it, but you'd get a much better experience out of a quad - especially for such high quality footage edits.

I hope this helps.
This is great advice.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks that is very helpful. I should note that I may not be shooting in 4k much but I want something that is at least capable of handling it. I will most likely shoot in 1080p the majority of the time. Thanks again.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks that is very helpful. I should note that I may not be shooting in 4k much but I want something that is at least capable of handling it. I will most likely shoot in 1080p the majority of the time. Thanks again.
All the latest rMBP's can handle 4K, but the dual cores and lesser graphics in the 13 inch version will be a fair bit slower to render etc maybe taking 2x as long as the 15 inch.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
In this case, I'm confident that the 2.9 i7 can at least handle editing 4K - and if you're willing to have a less fluid experience in comparison to a quad-core CPU for the times that you will in fact be editing in 4K, it should have no trouble at all with HD or FHD (720-1080p). It will still be a snappier experience on a quad, however.

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
In this case, I'm confident that the 2.9 i7 can at least handle editing 4K - and if you're willing to have a less fluid experience in comparison to a quad-core CPU for the times that you will in fact be editing in 4K, it should have no trouble at all with HD or FHD (720-1080p). It will still be a snappier experience on a quad, however.
The 2.9 is an i5 and not an i7 not that it probably matters in the grand scheme of things. You can upgrade it at purchase to a 3.1 dual core i7 which probably isn't worth it any way. I chose to go with the base configuration of that model but then I don't run any VM's or do any video, audio or photo editing either.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The 2.9 is an i5 and not an i7 not that it probably matters in the grand scheme of things. You can upgrade it at purchase to a 3.1 dual core i7 which probably isn't worth it any way. I chose to go with the base configuration of that model but then I don't run any VM's or do any video, audio or photo editing either.
The minor performance boost from the i7 isn't worth the extra cash the upgrade will cost.