Couples plan sim card switch between iPhone and non-iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wakakanada, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Wakakanada macrumors regular

Does anyone know whether there would be a problem "sharing" an iPhone on a couples plan? I am inclined to get a voice only plan since the value of internet doesn't presently approach the cost for us. But I need a new phone and an iPod, so an iPhone is an interesting option.

If I get one iPhone and one regular phone on a couples plan, can anyone see a problem with switching sim cards between the two if we want to "share" the iPhone sometimes? I could see a problem if one sim card had a data plan attached, but if they are identical customer profiles should it work?

2. haddman macrumors regular

From my expierence I do not believe this would work. If you try to plug an non iphone sim into an iphone it will give you a message that it is not a valid sim for this iphone.

It would work if you were willing to jailbreak and unlock your iphone.

3. Wakakanada thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks:) Maybe I'll just get two iPhones and decide if I want data or not.

4. equlizer macrumors regular

well i go between my iphone 3g and HTC touch pro with no problems. Im on the rogers network in canada.

5. ribenaberrie macrumors member

I didn't get a new sim with my iphone and have had my current sim since ages ago and it works with my SE and nokia mobiles, also my blackberry and obviously my new iphone. My iphone plan isn't even on this sim, I bought my iphone with another mobile number/sim which I am not using.

So maybe what you are proposing might work?!

6. Wakakanada thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all

I spoke to a guy at he Fido store who said it should work. But then again, I've been to three different Fido dealers and each one gave me a different price on the exact same iPhone plan, so you never know until you actually try it, I suppose. This Fido store gave me the best rate quote [couples plan for $35 with both phones at the posted rate with no $50 cheapo surcharge, and no $15 extra line charge]. Maybe he was just Mr. Amiable. I think I'll likely get two iPHones and if they really suck as bad as some say, return one for a real phone and keep the other as an iPod touch plus phone.

Thanks again to all who responded.:)

7. shinji257 macrumors newbie

It should technically work as long as it is a 3G compatible sim card. It can be either a older Cingular one or a new AT&T one. They let me use my old Cingular 3G one so now I have a "virgin" (i.e. blank/unprogrammed) AT&T 3G sim card for later use.