Couples who both use iOS devices, how do you manage iTunes purchases?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kylera, May 9, 2014.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Do both of you use the same single account for all purchases?

Or do you maintain separate accounts and purchase two of everything?

Or do you have separate accounts but mix and mesh some apps and purchases among devices?

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Not really a couple per se, but my best friend, whom I see as a sibling rather than a friend share iTunes. It happened when iTunes Match came into the fold. She has contributed greatly to my iTunes library in the past several years (>14,000 tracks), so I thought that she should have access to it as well. So, basically her device is locked to my AppleID to purchase anything (apps, music, books, etc). If she were to sign out, use her own ID, then sign back in with mine, she would be locked out. Apple now requires devices to be locked to one AppleID for 90 days; there is no way around that.

Cost-wise, it doesn't really matter for me. She can buy whatever she wants and of course, so can I. My account is only filled with iTunes GC, so at times, she refills it by buying an iTunes GC. Been doing this for at least 2-3 years (whenever iTunes Match debuted), and everything works and have never ran into a problem/issue.

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have my DD11 and her 5-year-old sister's iDevices on my account. I see no advantages to putting each device on its own account or each person. Unless you like purchasing the same app or song more than once.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Different accounts but I often "share" apps that I want him to check out. He can't be bothered with the App Store. -_-

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

One account for purchasing for my wife and daughter and myself. I give apple enough money. I don't need to buy apps three times as well.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The wife and I have our own separate iTunes accounts.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Boyfriend has his own Apple ID for his apps and iCloud, but my old iTunes account is logged in so he can sync my music and movies. He doesn't know the password though, and he doesn't make purchases.

I also have my own Apple ID and that iTunes account. Somehow I couldn't use my iTunes account for iCloud when I got an iPhone. So my apps are connected up my Apple ID, and my music and movies are tied to my iTunes account. I haven't tried to merge the two yet. So far there haven't been any restrictions for having the two accounts, and the activation set up gives you the opportunity to log into both.

8. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I think that your Apple ID -as properties- should be separated.

9. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

We don't. I am using spotify at the moment, no need to purchase songs, that's so 2004. Why do you think Apple just purchased beats?

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Giving money to Apple and giving money to app developers are two different things.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think apple take their cut!

12. CutterSlade, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

I use the same account as my brother for purchasing apps. I don't see any point in buying an app twice unless I have to. Supporting the devs isn't a valid reason since we pay for the apps we use anyway, but just once.

I also have my own iTunes account which I normally use. I only switch to our common account when buying/installing paid apps.

13. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

The wife and I have been sharing one account for years. I will 'will' her the password when I die. #

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

We share an iTunes account for all purchases so we don't have to pay twice for purchases, but we also maintain separate iCloud accounts for backups, iMessage, FaceTime, etc.

Very simple, works out well.

15. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

We share an iTunes account. I really don't see a point in having two separate accounts to pay for an app twice. Not to mention it just makes everything easier.

16. nparmelee macrumors 6502

We have separate iCloud accounts but share our iTunes account. Works for us.

17. W1LLk macrumors regular

My wife and I have separate iTunes accounts as well. We also use home sharing and just communicate with each other if one of us purchases content. The you can just drag and drop that information into your library. Our taste in music differs slightly, so when choosing to stream music, she can either pull from my library which is available off an NAS, or from her own laptop.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My wife and I have separate iTunes accounts. It's not like having to buy a $3 app twice is going to bankrupt us. I also don't use iTunes to manage my music, I've switched over to Google Play and I'm very happy with it.

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Dude.... friendzoned...

20. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Probably doesn't apply since I'm gay and well, she's flexisexual. Though, she has asked me for my sperm and she doesn't care how she gets it, which always disturbs me.

21. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Is there an app for that?

22. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Somewhat unintentionally, I had my original Apple ID that went all the way back to the first days of iTunes, and my Apple ID (with an email) that moved throughout the years from .Mac to iCloud. Originally I was kind of angry that I could not merge them, but I have grown to like it for this exact reason. I have my original iTunes account strictly for purchases, while my iCloud account takes care of everything else. It works out pretty well, it is tied to my card, and sometimes she will just load it up with a gift card. It's not precise, but hey, it works, and really we don't spend all that much anyway.

My biggest problem with it, given I use iCloud for all my email, it won't let me use any of my alias on my second account. If you don't use iCloud mail, not a problem.

An extension to that, I actually share my account with my parents as well. They rarely purchase Apps, but sometimes I want to share something with them "Like 1password" when I forced them to not have all their passwords "password1"

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Forget $3 apps. I have 'Frozen' on my, my wife's, and my daughter's iPad and it cost me $20 to do it.

By your method it would cost $60.

Have fun with that, but I'm not doing it. I don't care if anyone considers what I do cheating. Downloadable movies are supposed to replace DVDs and I didn't have to buy 3 of those for the family so I'm not about to start buying downloaded movies that way.

24. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Actually, yes. Grindr.