Courageous Beginner..HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by prettypictures, Jun 27, 2011.

1. prettypictures macrumors newbie

Hello, I am a pretty courageous beginner! So here's my story, really hope to get some help!!! I own the little Nikon D50 and have a little 15' HP laptop that is about to be thrown out my window! In 07' I did a wedding w/ my D50..I had no idea what I was doing...but the family was pleased! They needed a list minute photographer and a friend recommend me for the job! I actually shot the ENTIRE wedding in AUTO!!!! I can't believe it now that I look back on it! Ok now I am strongly considering picking this hobby back up again. IN FACT, a another friend of mine pushed me and long story short, I have a wedding to shoot this fall! I just shot their engatment photos this past weekend! They do know what they are getting, was very upfront that I am not a professional, just a beginner! I am also going to do a family member's wedding next year as well! I have soo much to learn! I rented a Nikon D90 and it was incredible, thinking about buying this DSLR to step up my game. What I'm contemplating on now is, b/c of cost of course, is what would be best to purchase for editing/post production work? I would love to buy the 27' iMac w/ the works..but 2k is not feasible for me right now! It may be in a year though. I've read about the MBooks, I could afford to spend a little over 1k. But I've also seen that the screen isn't true color, you should purchase an extra moniter for viewing/editing and it seems these costs would just add up! Just don't know if this would be a wise choice, thinking I could just save what I would spend on a MacBook and purchase the 27'iMac. What I want to do more is a few, "side jobs" like engagement photos, sweet 16 parties and maybe more weddings. I also love making photo slide shows. I did a 20minute slide show for a church came out great...but my HP was pushed to the limit! I've thought about as well to just spend 500 bucks on a Sony Vaio and wait it out till next year to afford the iMac. Please help!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. c1phr macrumors 6502

Well, it's true that the glossy TN panels of the Macbook Pros aren't perfect for color, but it isn't that far off and gets the job done. IMO, unless you're printing at a professional print shop, the printer matters a little more than the screen does. I print at Costco and the color matches that on my MBP fairly close, but I've figure out the difference in saturation and I can for the most part plan for the offset (since the glossy panel is more saturated than print).

That said, have you looked at the 21.5" iMac? That sounds like a good compromise on your budget, and you can always get a bigger external monitor in a year (or whenever) if you feel you need the extra screen space. But those Sandy Bridge cores are fast as hell, and you can be sure that you will notice a massive speed increase. Remember to factor in costs for your editing software too. Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture are pretty much the two favorites here and I would say industry standards. I'm not sure about Aperture (Lightroom user myself) but I know that LR requires a pretty fast hard drive (7200rpm or better), since that's where the bottleneck will be for a moderately fast system.

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Whatever you do, don't get a glossy screen to edit photos.