Courier/Messenger Bags

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theARNSKI, Sep 23, 2009.

1. theARNSKI macrumors regular

I was wondering if any of you know of a fairly cheap courier/messenger bag (preferably with a laptop compartment) that (for lack of a better term) "carry" onto your back like how Chrome messenger bags do (picture in the link of the bag and how it's worn by the person). As far as "cheap" is concerned, I'm looking for anything around $60 or less. I'd love to spend some money getting a Chrome bag, but with tuition + school fee hikes, reduced hours at work (gotta love 3 furloughed, unpaid fridays), and bills, I just can't afford to spend $120+ on a backpack.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/mini-metro-buckle-bag---small.html

I've recently taken up commuting to school using an old road bike he's had, instead of driving and paying $45 every week to fill up on gas.

As of current, I'm using just a normal backpack I've had for about 5 years, ever since I've started college, and I'm looking for a change for this final year. In this case, it's just a change in a backpack - I'm still looking for other changes to make =P

For any help received, I thank you ;)

2. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

3. theARNSKI thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Las, but I've already given them a looksee prior to posting and they're just as expensive. Their custom bag building is pretty neat though.

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

backcountryoutlet.com

They got some Timbuk2 bags on sale for relatively cheap. They have some good deals in general on that site.

A less expensive brand to try is Jansport, they have some options for around $50-60.

Good luck, but you're mostly going to be bargin hunting. These messenger bags aren't cheap.

5. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Get a backpack. There are some nice ones with padded laptop compartments. Ogio makes some particularly nice ones. Backpacks are more comfortable, more practical, and healthier for you than "one shoulder" bags. Messenger bags are for hipster doofuses.

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

As others have said you can check out some outlets for stores like www.rei.com/outlet (they had some TimBuk2 bags for like $50-$60 on sale occasionally).

Also if that's how you want to carry the bag you can consider those "sling bags"? Usually they go for pretty cheap from brands like Jansport or whatever.

Lastly, if you have a local TJ Maxx or Marshalls, they sell some surprisingly "name brand" bags for cheap prices. I've seen timbuk2 for like $30, heck even Tumi bags for like $50! I love checking out my local TJ Maxx every time I get a chance since their stock changes so often. Good luck.