Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Theres lots out there :) everyone has different learning styles so do some searching before you settle on one.

I learned by reading a few books then straight to bashing my head into the keyboard. =)

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I learned iOS programming from the Standford courses on iTunes-U. Learn by doing, and they are free. It took me about two months before I could start to create my own apps suitable for the Apple App Store.

I did have programming skill though.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Theres lots out there :) everyone has different learning styles so do some searching before you settle on one.

I learned by reading a few books then straight to bashing my head into the keyboard. =)

Love the bashing head into keyboard. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you want to make a game, you should look here instead:
http://www.walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

Whereas the course you linked to will teach you how to write programs (not games) which run on only iOS devices, Unity is designed for making games which run on all platforms, including iOS, OS X, Wii /U, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, Android, BlackBerry, Windows / Phone, Oculus Rift, and all major web browsers.

Plus the course I linked to is free.

stera8

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
I had zero programming skills.

My first two apps became published and now I'm working on updates.

Goal Rubric for the iPad is an educational app

and

RC Test Drive is a driving game (currently taken off due to iOS 8 mess up)

----

I signed up for a course for $29 on Udemy but I haven't used it yet. I enjoy watching YouTube videos and going on different forums. My apps are basic but they are evolving. I learned a lot on Youtube.

oliv2915

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Indiana
Thanks!
What do you guys think to this course? It was $995 :eek:

I personally am taking this course. You don't need to know anything about coding. They start you off as if you are a beginner to programming. You don't need to know Objective-C to take the Swift course. Don't let the price scare you. There are ways to get enrolled in the course for under $100 bucks. I have provided a link below that will do this for you. The link gives you access to both the Objective-C and Swift Course.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-complete-ios-8-developers-course-w-swift-pre-release?rid=1018602

Aron Peterson

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
North Carolina
I personally am taking this course. You don't need to know anything about coding. They start you off as if you are a beginner to programming. You don't need to know Objective-C to take the Swift course. Don't let the price scare you. There are ways to get enrolled in the course for under $100 bucks. I have provided a link below that will do this for you. The link gives you access to both the Objective-C and Swift Course.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-complete-ios-8-developers-course-w-swift-pre-release?rid=1018602

Right on. They take you through building 14 or 15 apps with video tutorials. Very important to do each tutorial a few times to memorise it. Then try on your own.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast

Yep. I took their iOS 7 course and it was absolutely amazing. Well, it has been amazing that is, I'm still finishing it up and I started back in may!

If you do get it, don't be afraid to take detours and do your own projects. I would say that every 10 to 20 videos I go off and do my own project. Most recently I learned Core Data and I also built a full-featured gravity simulator app that accurately details the motion of planets/comets/etc. I am now focused on finishing the iOS 7 course but doing these side projects has been very rewarding as well. I'm now learning Core Animation and a few third party API's.

Here's the gravity app I made a few weeks back. The moon orbits around the earth even though I never explicitly told it to go in an ellipse at all, it just follows the gravitational laws:

IMG_4772.PNG

Last edited:

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I'm so excited! I just paid my $89 to start the course today! I haven't started yet, but it occurred to me, don't I need to have OS X 10.10 Yosemite to start learning Swift? I downloaded Yosemite beta a while back during the summer, when it became available, but I reverted back to Mavericks after encountering one too many bugs (I learned I'm not a good beta tester -- bugs irritate me too much).

So, do I wait for the official release of Yosemite before starting this course, or is it cool to jump right in?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I'm so excited! I just paid my $89 to start the course today! I haven't started yet, but it occurred to me, don't I need to have OS X 10.10 Yosemite to start learning Swift? I downloaded Yosemite beta a while back during the summer, when it became available, but I reverted back to Mavericks after encountering one too many bugs (I learned I'm not a good beta tester -- bugs irritate me too much).

So, do I wait for the official release of Yosemite before starting this course, or is it cool to jump right in?

Jump right in. You can use OS X 10.9 Mavericks to learn Swift as well.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Jump right in. You can use OS X 10.9 Mavericks to learn Swift as well.

Thanks! I think I'll "jump in" tonight!

Of course, I promised my wife I'd finish up all of my "real work" from my office today before I start up with the "play work" at home tonight....she says I need to focus on getting paid from my day job before I screw around with my "pie in the sky" fantasies of becoming a coder/programmer/hacker who stays up all night coding with fellow hackers, while feasting on pizza, Doritos and Mountain Dew.

And yes, I have seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley" one too many times. :):cool::apple:

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I'm actually using the Big Nerd Ranch iOS book and it's really good at taking you through different elements of Objective C and app development but as a part of making a bigger all encompassing app.

I really liked the approach as you felt you were building towards something and are creating small usable portions on the way.

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
England
I purchased "The Complete iOS 8 Course With Swift" on stacksocial

I have tried loads of books in the past with varying degrees of sucess but thought I would give these video tutorials a try to bring me up to speed in Swift.

I have got to say I'm about 30% through and they have been worth every penny so far

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
For the Stacksocial deal, would it be better to focus on iOS 8/Swift or iOS 7/Objective C?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Well, after a while not having studied at the Stanford course, I have just dived into the stack social deal. I like the being chunked into smaller parts already. Afterwards I'll do the Stanford thing too.

----------

For the Stacksocial deal, would it be better to focus on iOS 8/Swift or iOS 7/Objective C?

I'd both
I'd start on iOS 7 though. Just yesterday I saw a programming opening: no mentioning of swift. Skills required: objective-c, iOS 7 etc

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I took a few classes awhile ago but never got to serious about programming. I want to get back in, can anyone recommend some good books to read?

Do the online course. Its always updated where as a book will quickly outdate.

I just bought Bitfountain's new iOS UI/UX Design course too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.