Cover Flow Finder leading to Multitouch Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sinstoic, Jun 12, 2007.

1. sinstoic macrumors member

I feel cover flow finder is a gradual step towards the next generation Macs. Using cover flow with horizontal scroll bar isn't comfortable but moving them with your finger is second nature. I never used cover flow in iTunes on the computer but the demo on iPhone looked natural and more comfortable.

With cover flow in finder, multitouch on Macs seem to be coming soon.

2. AdamL macrumors member

Could be. You can use the two finger scroll to scroll through albums on iTunes. Same as scrolling vertically with two fingers. Works horizontally also.

Good point though!

3. sinstoic thread starter macrumors member

Did anybody observe any other feature in the upcoming Leopard that is a step towards multitouch Mac?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Resolution independence making things bigger maybe...mainly the iPhone shows multitouch features that could be used on desktops and laptops

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You put your fingers on my beautiful 20" screen and I'll chop them off.

6. Sarcas macrumors newbie

This question seems like an interesting enough to test semi-scientifically rather then talk in thin air.
    So, I'm hereby suggesting a hypothesis: Many of Leopard's changes are not geared towards use in today's standard Macs, but in post-computer devices, possibly multi-touch driven, along the lines of iPhone and appleTV.

Experiment to test this hypothesis: I went through the list of features on apple's site and counted. For each feature, I'm asking the question: Can this feature be interpreted as being geared towards use in post-computer devices, possibly multi-touch driven, along the lines of iPhone and appleTV, instead of being strictly intended for use on current-day Macs? I know this is different from the topic's original question. I also realize this question is biased from the get-go, because we're explicitly looking for a connection which may have not be there. But since we can't exactly go ask Apple what their future plans are, this will have to do for now.

So, here goes. The list of features, from apple's website:

1. Desktop: Stacks. Aka Piles, this feature has long been a traditional example of multitouch-drive and gesture-driven interfaces. Good when done with the mouse, better when done with the fingers. Definitely counts as a "Yes".
    2. Desktop: transparent menu + dock. Not directly multi-touch related; however, as noted in other reactions on the interface changes, the new menubar somewhat awkward on normal desktop macs, where you assume your menu bar is always available. Apple's comment on this is "The menu bar hovers transparently above your workspace, letting the desktop image — perhaps a favorite from your iPhoto library — take center stage."... That doesn't make much sense to me if we're talking about a wallpaper on a normal mac, but makes perfect sense if you're talking about a movie on an appletv. Counting this one as "maybe".
    3. Finder: Sidebar. Don't see any connection here; counting as "no".
    4. Finder: Coverflow for files. As noted by others before, it's just some sugar coating for a normal mac interface, but becomes the primary way of navigating if you're talking about a multi-touch driven interface; Counting as a big fat "yes".
    5. Finder: "Closer connections". Seems like a handy feature to have if you want to access content on other devices, but equally handy on normal macs; counting as a "maybe".
    6. Finder: Back to my mac? Don't see any connection to the hypothesis, counting as a "no".
    7. Finder: "Look deeper" (boolean Spotlight). Don't see any connection to the hypothesis, counting as a "no".
    8. Quick Look: Absolutely! This is exactly the kind of stuff you'd expect your "minority report" devices to do, drop the abstraction of filenames and let the content speak for itself. Counting as a "yes".
    9. Quick Look 2: "See everything": same reasoning as above (don't really see how these are 2 different features, Apple?), counting again as "yes".
    10. Time Machine: Might be possible that this could also be used to backup media, but not gonna count it as such. However, note that the interface again provides a visual/gestural way of doing something which would normally be very keyboard-based. Apples counts TM as 5 features, so i'll count it as 4 "no"s and 1 "yes" for the GUI which seems geared towards non-mouse usage.
    11. Spaces: absolutely! Watching a movie in one space, pausing it, going to another to check that e-mail that just came in, or switching between a space with a slideshow running & a space with an iChat confcall? Makes perfect sense to me to use this stuff on post-computer devices. Apple counts this as 3 features, so i'll count it as 3 yesses, if you let me :)
    12. Mail: Apple counts 7 new features in their mail program, i'm counting them as 7 times "no" for the next-gen stuff (although the spotlight feature and the "data detection" feature could both have some interesting effects on the iPhone...).
    13. iChat: Chat for effect. Fun feature wether you use it on today's Mac or tomorrow's appleTV. Counting as "maybe".
    14. iChat: Still the best for text. Strictly keyboard-based feature, counting as "no".
    15. iChat: Show off (without showing up). Certainly interesting possibilities here for next-gen comm devices - counting as "yes".
    16. iChat: Chatting for the record. Don't see any relevance, counting as "no".
    17. iChat: Crystal-clear audio. Interesting that they would want high-quality sound when most people only have medium-quality speakers. Would be welcome if used in next-gen stuff. Counting as "maybe".
    18. iChat: AIM to please: another "no".
    19. iCal: Apple has 6 features here, none of which appear relevant for this hypothesis. Counting as 6 nos.
    20. Dashboard: WebClip. Definitely counts as a "yes" (creating widgets as iPhone apps directly on iPhone would be wicked...).
    21. Dashboard: Movies. "Yes" please.
    22. Dashboard: Widgets wherever (.mac syncing of widgets). Sounds interesting that they would add this if you look at it in the context of the shift towards post-computer devices - I'm guessing Apple will be positioning .mac as one of the ways to sync your devices with your Mac, which will still be the "digital hub". Counting this one as a "maybe".
    23. Safari: Browse like the wind. Irrelevant, counting as "no".
    24. Safari: Inline find. The Spotlight-like way in which this now works definitely appears like one of those things which is nice to have on a normal computer, but really starts to shine on next-gen devices. Counting as "yes".
    25. Safari: Improved tabs system. Counting as "no".
    26. Safari: PDFs at your service. "No".
    27. Safari: Resize at will. "No".
    28. Safari: Surf securely. "No".
    29. Safari: Clip it. Somewhat the same feature as the Dashboard WebClip feature, counting again as "yes".
    30. Parental Controls: Counting these 3 as "no".
    31. Boot Camp: Definitely "no" (x3).
    32. Photo Booth : All similar to the iChat effects thing, fun stuff on both current-gen and next-gen. Counting as 6x "maybe".
    33. Front Row: Simple interface. Hell yeah. 1x "Yes".
    34. Front Row: Remote Control. See above, also "Hell yeah". 1x "Yes" again.
    35. DVD Player: Again, this seems more suited for the living room then for the office. Counting as 5x "Yes".
    36. Accessibility: Lots of interesting things in here: it could be a coincidence, but I have the impression that Apple has added a bunch of features for people who are physicially unable to use a keyboard or mouse, but which could also form the basis of a new sets of tools for people who are using a device that does not sport a mouse or a keyboard. Still, to much speculation required to count any of these as "yesses", so counting them all as "no". 6x "No".
    37. Automator: 3x "No".

Final score on the question "Can this feature be interpreted as being geared towards use in post-computer devices, possibly multi-touch driven, along the lines of iPhone and appleTV, instead of being strictly intended for use on current-day Macs?":

1. Yes: 20
    2. Maybe: 12
    3. No: 43

I just realised i've already put an hour of time into this post (my first :) ) and it might all be a figment of my imagination, so I'll pretty much drop it here - but I can't shake the feeling that Leopard is more geared towards the living room then towards the office. This may have lead to some of the dissapointment mentioned by others. I guess we'll see in the following months.

Kind regards,
    Sarcas.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not so sure I think that CoverFlow implies Multi-touch. It's a good application for a multi-touch situation, but I don't think it's quite that cut and dry.

I think CoverFlow all over the place is purely for "Wow Factor" more than anything - personally....I don't even like CF that much.

8. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

I think it would be fantastic to use coverflow/multitouch/core animation to manages files, photos and videos. Just like the demo app at WWDC.

9. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

@ Sarcas: if you put this much time into your posts, you'll might as well start blogging :)

I don't really see the mass-market for multi-touch. It's really only good if you're an artist, it looks like. Maybe they could add some features to existing laptop-trackpads, that would be cool.

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

My 2¢*...

I can imagine Multitouch being introduced as a wireless electronic mousepad that requires no mouse, akin to a Wacom tablet that uses your fingers as the device instead of a pen.

This would mitigate the cost and complexity of producing a large multiouch LCD, since technically, only the touch coordinates are really required to make the Multitouch function.
    This would allow Multitouch to be added to any Mac that can run Leopard.

11. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Strange, I thought that these three would be perfect examples for a new post-computer device!

Most expect such a device to be a portable device with solid state storage (and hence likely limited storage) but with good connectivity (Internet). Motto: keep your data somewhere on a server at home or on the 'net and access your data from anywhere with ease. But for that you need to be able to:

a) easily connect to your data,
    b) easily search through it and
    c) easily copy/access the found items.

I'd vote 'Yes' on all three.