cover flow window size

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard.mac, Nov 15, 2007.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like to have my movies, pictures, downloads and documents folders always open in cover flow with the cover flow window at a certain size. whenever i go back to the finder after a login or reboot the cover flow window size always goes back to the default which is tiny. this is even after ive tried to keep it at a particular size and selected always open in cover flow in view options. i was hoping 10.5.1 would fix this. does this happen to anyone else? does anyone know how to keep cover flow windows at a certain size? heres a few pics to explain what i mean.

the first picture is how big i want to cover flow window to look. the second picture is how the cover flow window always seems to want to go back to. the third picture is the view options of that finder window

Attached Files:

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Click the "Use as Defaults" after you've made your adjustments?

I'm unsure about the actual window size if it has anything to do with the file contents having something to do with it.

3. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

window size does increase the cover flow window size but i like to have all my windows the same size... call me picky. "use as defaults" seems to do the trick but after regular use in finder and then opening a window a while later it goes back to the tiny size again. is this the same for you or anyone else?

i just want the cover flow window size to remain constant after i resize it like finder windows do.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Just asked my wife to play with hers (boy that sounded dirty) and she said the cover flow changes. She (being a windows user) said it's no big deal, she attributes it to the windows explorer folder like "last position/last usage) type of thing.

Picky? I'd say so, but I can see your point. I prefer mine in icon view, easier to click/move/drag/"show package contents" to me. Coverflow I use for other things but I resize 'as needed' when I switch to it.

To each his own, maybe it's just 'normal' operation to do this. Who knows. Hope you find an answer soon.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I know exactly what you're talking about with the Finder window sizes. After closing a Finder window, when you reopen it it will go back to the size of the initial window you opened. For instance, if you double click Macintosh HD then go to Music and resize the window in Music then close it, when you reopen it it will go back to the size Macintosh HD was in the first place. Then if you "reveal" your Applications stack in Finder, that window will have a size different from Macintosh HD. None of this would be that bad but with the default Finder size it puts a scrollbar on the left pane, and I hate that!

I probably confused you but I don't know of any other way to explain it :p

6. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think you have to resize the individual finder windows. if you resize just macintosh HD not all the other folders they're not gonna be the same size. ive made all my main finder windows like macintosh HD, applications, music, home etc all the same size by command clicking on them in the sidebar and resizing them all from there.

"use as defaults" does not keep the cover flow window size the same for a particular folder. the size tends to get smaller and smaller. if you at first make it large and then click around in other folders and eventually go back to the folder you just came from it will get smaller over time. geez this is hard to explain!

7. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

im bumping this thread hoping that more users notice & acknowledge this issue/annoyance. if apple made cover flow in the finder act just like in itunes it would be perfect. i.e. cover flow window height stays at the height chosen by the user and the cover flow windows do not get bigger if the finder window is dragged bigger.

8. weeag macrumors regular

I'll add my name to the list as this being an annoyance... I hate having to resize my windows twice when I'm browsing with cover flow.

9. johnsonl33 macrumors newbie

Figured it out

Can't believe I figured this out. Here's what you do. All instructions below are assuming you have 1 or 0 finder windows open total.

1. Set your window size to large.

[​IMG]

2. Set your coverflow size to super huge.

[​IMG]

3. Close window.

4. Open new finder window which should look like #2 above.

5. Resize the overall window until the coverflow window is the size you want it.

[​IMG]

6. Close window.

7. Open new finder window which should look like #5.

8. Resize finder window and coverflow window will hold size. Hurrah.

[​IMG]