cover-flow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrosive vinyl, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have been reading about Leopard, and it seems to me like everyone is blowing off cover-flow. personally, I think it is amazing that they are using a technology :apple: bought to their full advantage. I think it makes perfect sense, they get Mac and PC customers used to the iTunes layout, then drop it on the finder. It makes those not accustomed to Macs, but used to iTunes, more comfortable with a new OS. This will make for, at the least, more switchers.

2. 66217 Guest

It is not that people don't like it, it is more that they were expecting a different Finder. What they wanted? I really don't know, for me Finder is very good as it is.

CoverFlow seems a nice idea, but more eye-candy than functionality, at least for me.

3. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

That is very true, I didn't think of that!

Another little bit of apple genius! :apple:

4. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

it is eye candy, but imagine using cover-flow in a pictures folder, that is functional to me, seeing all my pics easier.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I think that, on the one hand, it's great that Apple didn't just patch the Coverflow code they purchased in and then ignore it. I'm excited that they're exploring other uses for it. On the other hand, I'm not really sure yet whether or not I'd find it beneficial... I guess it depends on what kind of information it produces on things other than pictures, and how quickly it works. Like for instance, if it shows me the first page of Office documents and PDFs in coverflow view in real time, I would be very excited.

6. 66217 Guest

I'm hopping this Cover-Flow in Finder is not as buggy as the one in iTunes.

I can't use cover-flow on my MB, it is not very smooth.

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

really? i find it to be great. it might stutter for a very quick moment when it first starts up, but then it is awesome.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well in coverflow everything is shrunk to thumbnail or at least quarter page size. so you won't be able to read anything on the pdf's or excel sheets. and presentations have all the same company logo on the first slide and the title would be too small to read anyway.

coverflow only works for pictures but there you have already a thumbnail preview in finder (much faster than flipping through coverflow) and all your pics are organized in iphoto, aperture, lightroom, flickr or picasa anyway. and your movies and music and audiobooks are organized in itunes already.

so some files you can't identify by coveflow because it's too small and the files that would work in coverflow are already organized in a better way.
    i can't see the use for coverflow but hopefully i get positivly surprised.

9. 66217 Guest

Do you have a MB? For some reason it never remembers the covers of the albums, so each time I open iTunes and select the cover-flow view it starts loading them.

10. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

All the load time is at startup, for the library, after that no loading for me. I am on an iBook G4.

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

According to the demos, this is exactly what it does...

12. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I'm actually running on a Powerbook G4. Like I mentioned and a few others mentioned, it just takes a moment for it to all load up. Just scroll through and after your first attempt within a couple of seconds it should be working as expected.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Which one of you is right? ;) I haven't done a deep dive into the demo.

14. 66217 Guest

I leave iTunes open all the day. I'll try re-installing iTunes, maybe that can help.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think that CoverFlow in combination with QuickLook is going to be very powerful.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree, just depends on lag, if any in previewing 'em.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

19. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

now that I think of it, leopard looks really great, but does anyone know how much space and memory it takes up? I think that it is going to be a huge OS, which I am a little skeptical about.

20. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl