iPad mini Cover lock screen problem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjvr, Mar 18, 2015.

1. pjvr macrumors newbie

I have an ipad mini with a smart cover. It locks the screen fine, but when the screen was replaced it stopped working.
    Which may be the problem?

2. wongster macrumors regular

3. pjvr thread starter macrumors newbie

But, the light sensor is related to the lock sensor?

4. wongster, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

wongster macrumors regular

don't know exactly but there is a sensor on iPads that detects when it is covered up or not, will lock and unlock the screen.

just did some googling and it is actually a magnetic device inside the iPad and on the cover, when triggered, will lock the screen.

read here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1481775

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Who ever replaced the screen failed to relocate magnet sensors behind. Was the screen replaced by Apple, if so take it back and they will fix it.

6. pjvr thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it was replaced by a local shop (no apple). How the magnets are relocated? The new screen brings the magnets or need to use the magnets of the old screen?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Take it back to them and tell them what is happening. They are the one who failed to do the work correctly. These magnets/sensors have to be in the right place. Even reversing them may stop it from working.

8. pjvr thread starter macrumors newbie

I take it back and technician told me that everything is ok, that the problem is in the ipad and not on the screen. I did not agree and he ordered a new screen. I want to know how it works so he not fool me.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Wish you had taken to an Apple Store but maybe that is not possible.

I am not sure where the magnet/sensor is located except it is on then right side behind the screen if looking at your iPad in portrait mode. Tell your repair person the iPad screen lock worked perfectly before he replaced th screen.