Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Hey y'all,

Is there any available cover (have been searching for haven't found anything so far) to cover a MBA spanish keyboard (you know, the one with the "weird" return key and the "ñ" besides the L and other odd things) so that it looks like an US keyboard, specially on the keys next to return, and then I'd switch input languages to ENG on MacOS?
I almost have a good deal on a MBA but it's in spanish so it turns me off as it would suck to switch layouts from my ENG wireless Mac keyboard I've worked on for a few years now to the MBA's spanish one.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I think it's not that easy. The English keyboard has a broad Enter key and occupies a single row. The Spanish one is small, and occupies two rows.

There are other differences as well, like the shift keys.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Hey y'all,

Is there any available cover (have been searching for haven't found anything so far) to cover a MBA spanish keyboard (you know, the one with the "weird" return key and the "ñ" besides the L and other odd things) so that it looks like an US keyboard, specially on the keys next to return, and then I'd switch input languages to ENG on MacOS?
I almost have a good deal on a MBA but it's in spanish so it turns me off as it would suck to switch layouts from my ENG wireless Mac keyboard I've worked on for a few years now to the MBA's spanish one.

No way you can actually do that, different layout, not just a key remapping.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Well, there actually is. I only have to order an "International US" cover and that's it. Same layout as the Spanish ISO keyboard. I already have on the cart at AliExpress.
An UK cover would work as well, but instead of "#" on top of the "3" key, I'd get an Euro symbol.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Well, there actually is. I only have to order an "International US" cover and that's it. Same layout as the Spanish ISO keyboard. I already have on the cart at AliExpress.
An UK cover would work as well, but instead of "#" on top of the "3" key, I'd get an Euro symbol.

Apologies I did misread what you were saying (not sure why I was thinking about changing the top case). i think there are keyboard covers.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I would say, in answer to your other question, the thickness of the silicone cover would prevent you from closing the laptop.

What about swapping the actual key covers about? I am sure the key caps just prise off and swap them around?

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I would say, in answer to your other question, the thickness of the silicone cover would prevent you from closing the laptop.

What about swapping the actual key covers about? I am sure the key caps just prise off and swap them around?
Well from watching youtube videos and seeing reviews (and testing the left half of the keyboard with my current cover for the apple wireless, which is an US cover obviously), it seems like there are no apparent issues with closing the laptop.

The swapping of keys actually sounds like a very good alternative, however this MBA is still under warranty, and I've seen the swapping is not that trivial, requires removing the board obviously and blah blah. Even though I'm not "scared" of such procedures, I don't wanna risk it.
Also, the keyboard is about $25-30 from a reputable seller (in this case I wouldn't trust a chinese keyboard) while the cover is only $1-2.

So I was thinking is some people had real experience with those things and could share it for good or for bad.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I meant just popping the odd key cap off and swapping it. AFAIK you can get replacement individual key caps.
Oh, gotcha. Well that would be interesting and I dabbled a bit about it just now, but comes out there is more than the "Ñ" key, there is also the fact the parentheses are not in the 9-0 keys, and other annoyances.

I know I'm nitpicking but well, this is the thing I'll use to communicate with the laptop so I wanna have an experience as smooth and "familiar" as possible...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.