Covered by AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forafireescape, Mar 4, 2008.

1. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I just got my new MBP (specs in sig) in early November 07. So far I haven't had any major issues.

However, lately I've noticed something. When I close the lid, the two front corners facing me go up. It's not the absolute end of the world, but it is really annoying. One side goes up higher than the other; about 1/4". The other is about 1/8". I didn't take out a ruler or anything; those are just estimates :)

It wasn't like this when I first got it, and I haven't dropped it. There's no sign of damage. I think it might just be warping or something (though I don't know if that's possible).

I'm at college right now and I'm going home in a few weeks for spring break. Should I take it to an Apple store and have them look at it? Will they fix it because I have AppleCare, or will they just tell me to get over it? Also, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for your help!

2. BowZinger macrumors member

3. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

This has been addressed several times on this forum and the opinion seems to be that it is normal with the mechanical lock and aluminum case. Aluminum is a soft flexible metal and it will expand and contract. Mine does it worse when the computer is warm and much less when it is cold.

It is normal unless it is really deformed.

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Its rare to see a perfect one: my dad's MBP is the only one out of all the MBPs I've seen that is actually perfect. Mine had the same problem as you (one side had a much bigger gap than the other) but I got used to it.

5. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Update: I had to take the computer in for something else and I asked the guy about it...he said it was normal and not warped. :rolleyes:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah they are all like that unless your very very lucky.

The hinge is built to resist the closing and the latches are very small and fragile.

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Almost every MBP has this to some extent. I am on my 3rd and it has some gap also. If it bothers you radtech sells something for this that works great.:D

8. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yeah, I thought about getting the Radtech things...but I don't know if I like the big clear circles on the top of my screen :eek: So, I'll just live with the gap I guess :)