coverflow and movie Posters. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darkmeton, Dec 6, 2008.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

Is there a way to show the movie poster (or dvd cover or whatever you may want to call it) instead of a screenshot of the movie when in coverflow?

Just like in itunes with album covers but in finder , in the movies folder , when a .avi or .mp4 is selected.

I'm sure I have seen it somewhere..

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You can add art and metadata to mp4 and mov files with MetaX; I'm pretty sure coverflow reads it and will display the poster. MetaX will attempt to auto-retrieve data and posters from its own database, amazon, imdb, and some movie poster site. Check it out.

It doesn't work with avi or divx files though. If you have quicktime pro you can hit shift-command-s and save as a mov file.

3. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

nice one.. A bummer it doesn't write mkv files (HD rips) or avi. None of my movies is in mp4.. :( (doesn't support subtitles). Anything that works with .avi??

4. rob finch macrumors member

I don't know how to do this within Finder, but I do browse my movies by poster in coverflow view using Plex. If you are on Intel, I highly recommend it for all your media purposes.

A picture of it in action attached. You can view plot summary, cast list, IMDB rating and other information at the press of a button. All of this info is retrieved from an automatic scrape from IMDB or another source if you choose.

Attached Files:

5. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

just installed it! Looks very promising.. but I can't get that coverflow to work.. My movies are in my Movies folder.. but when I chose "watch your movies" it says there is no thumbnails available.. How do I download content from imdb and embed it to my movies? And how do I get all the movies to load when I chose the "movies" menu, without having to browse to files?

A very nice replacement to FrontRow!!

6. rob finch macrumors member

If you get the contextual menu up in the Watch Your Movies screen (I hit the down or right keys until it does), select your Movies folder source and hit the C key. You then choose the Set Content menu item and indicate it contains movies, then choose a source from which to retrieve the information, i.e. IMDB. Run an automated scan and it will recognise unambiguous movie names, those that it doesn't pick up set manually by hitting the I key and selecting Refresh.

You can choose a thumbnail other than the default and also load fan art which will show in place of the movie theatre as the background.

Good luck.

7. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

Amazing! It worked!! Although a little buggy, the app is INCREDIBLE! thanx!

8. rob finch macrumors member

Glad you got it working. I'm sticking with the 0.5.22 version at the moment, the 0.7.x series are very new and expected to be a bit buggy for a while yet.

9. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm.. As I was surfing today I came across this http://xbmc.org/

It has exactrly the same skin as Plex... I don't get it..

I will give it a try and see if it is more stable