Coverflow - different on a desktop from laptop

Discussion in 'iPod' started by afd, Apr 14, 2007.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

Hi there, sorry if this has been covered before, but wanted to ask why coverflow works differently on a desktop than on a laptop? Also can you get it working like a laptop on a desktop?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Wasn't aware of any differences. There is a glitch where it sometimes isn't rendered correctly on MacBooks, but this is a glitch and not correct.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not sure what you mean works differently. I don't think this should be the case. Are you sure you are using the same version of iTunes on both computers and have the same settings applied.

If you could give specifics about how the work differently.

Edit:
    People from the UK need to go to bed sooner :)

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It shouldn't be working differently. In what way is it working differently for you? We can't help fix a problem is we don't know what it is.

That said, it might be possible that the graphics card affects how coverflow runs. Older graphics cards or integrated ones like in the MacBooks might not have the power to use the full coverflow and so might run a simplified version of it. However I know nothing about this so don't take it as correct.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I like coffee

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

And I like Diet Coke :)

8. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

on my imac, clicking an album cover moves that album to the front. On my powerbook and xp laptop i have to click on the arrows below the albums.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just checked my iBook G4 and iMac G5 -- they perform identically. Both allow me to click on the album cover to move the coverflow as well as to use the arrow buttons.

10. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Am now staring to doubt my sanity... Just out of interest plugged my iMac's mouse into powerbook and coverflow worked fine. Unplugged mouse and it still worked fine. This didn't happen before, clicking on album artwork with trackpad before didn't move the album to the front. Now it does...
    When I first noticed this before I thought something was wrong and completely removed iTunes and reinstalling it, to no avail.
    Weird. Or I dreamed it up..

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

coverflow has changed a little bit...let's all remember that the wonderful apple did buy this independent software...

12. numlock macrumors 68000

Always been interested in this but how does it work when apple buys these softwares the size of coverflow. Does the developer get money and a position at apple or just money and "well take care of coverflow from now on"?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just a head check to make sure it's not me.... :eek: After reading some more of the replies, I am wondering, do you mean the version of Coverflow that is the integrated coverflow view in iTunes 7, or do you mean the version that was previously available as an enhancement of iTunes 6 and below? I was talking about the version inside iTunes 7.

14. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

was talking about the version inside the latest iTunes. I haven't used coverflow berfore that. Was thinking i maybe had some corrupt artwork on laptops? Copied music from my iPod onto both laptops to have music at work. But over easter holidays have deleted whats on powerbook and copied new stuff on from iMac.