Coverflow Idea

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeznav, Nov 13, 2007.

1. jeznav macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who thinks Coverflow can actually be useful?

I find that the Leopard has a lot of features and the main thing I liked is the ability to display the contents of a file from the icon point-of-view. Pictures, Textfiles, Documents, etc. are cool but is there a way (speaking to programmers) to display 3d mesh-based file formats such as 3ds,obj,cob,x in Finder, better yet in Coverflow and in Quicklook? I know that Leopard uses Quartz and the new Core Animation, but is this possible in a technical point of view? Like develop something in Quartz composer and some how integrate it to Finder as a hack or plugin?

-JN

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

quicklook was built on a plugin architecture, so any developer can write a plugin for quicklook if they want to, for their application/file format.

as for coverflow, Im not sure how tightly it is tied into quick look, but there is no reason a developer couldnt make the contents of the file the icon of the file when it is saved, this would give you a coverflow icon preview!

3. jesstech macrumors member

Coverflow and Quicklook use the same architecture.

I wish Adobe would get off their butts and write an EPS plugin. Finder has been irritating us graphic designers with those stupid EPS icons for far too long.