Coversutra versions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonsai1214, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

So currently i'm on 2.2.2, and the app store has 2.5. i have no problems paying 5 bucks for this app, but what's the differences in the versions? i actually see nothing aside from a few new bezel icons, and the loss of growl notifications..

2. tkermit, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

• Bigger Desktop Album Cases (up to 256 pixels)
    • A new keyboard bezel style
    • An option to let CoverSutra automatically start and quit with iTunes
    • Localizations in German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, French, Dutch, Japanese, and Chinese
    • Lots of smaller bug-fixes and enhancements

I'm also on 2.2.2 and probably won't "upgrade" to the app store version. I feel like the new version is less about improvements than about making a clean cut by now offering the app exclusively on the app store. Sophia is getting some vile and, at least in this manner, undeserved responses to this on her blog though...

3. xeyr macrumors newbie

Yeah, a lot of the comments on her blog entry are pretty vile.

I was pretty ... frustrated ... by her decision to cut off the customers who paid and were promised free upgrades until v3, but I decided a simple email and voting with my dollars would be a better alternative.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I don't see what the big deal is. People are acting like she is the only one who is doing this, but Pixelmator and many other apps are doing the exact same thing. This is just a small $5 app, where Pixelmator is $29.

Seriously people act like when developers say, "Free upgrades until version X" that it is somehow a promise. There is no developer I can think of that actually said, "We promise your upgrades will be free until version X." Sure it is a tacit promise in a way still, and what is being done clearly is making a few people understandably upset.

A year from now nobody will even remember. They will all have their favorite apps bought off the App Store and not even think twice about the developers who decided to drop using Kagi and other e-commerce because of the cost/overhead to support serials and anti-piracy. The developers will be happier, and the customers will be happier.

Go ahead and boycott your favorite apps because they don't have the ability/time to sustain two channels for their app development, but you are only hurting developers who are working hard to make great apps.

It's not like Sophia or the Pixelmator team came up with some grand plan to screw over people and make a quick buck. They clearly thought this over for quite awhile, and considered the pros and cons. The result is that the App Store is the future, love it or hate it.

5. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i just read her blog. quite venomous over there... like there isn't much more you can do for the app to warrant a 3.0 release. yeah, it says free updates to 3.0, but if she had released it as 3.0, people would have been angry that it wasn't a major update. she was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

its the same thing with Twitter. people were going crazy that they didn't get those free updates and stuff..

6. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Um, the Pixelmator team have said they will continue providing updates to 1.x for existing customers, but if you buy it from the AppStore now you will also get version 2 for free (which you wouldn't have received previously)

Coversutra does in fact say free upgrades until version 3
    [​IMG]
    Made more annoying by the fact that 2.5 has bug fixes in

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Aww, the growl notifications were my favorite part. :(

8. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Coversutra 3.0.1 has just been released... :rolleyes:

Attached Files: