covert mpg/mpeg to mp4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricecook, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

what di need to convert my mpg/mpeg to mp4 so that i can put it on my ipod touch?

im using a 3rd gen macbook with leopard lates update.. thanks

2. davidleon macrumors member

3. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

4. davidleon macrumors member

VisualHub is more polished, but HandBrake is freeware.

5. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Myself I love VisualHub.. it is the greatest.
    I use it for everything except Divx work.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what do you use for encoding to DivX? VisualHub does this too in the avi tab.

7. jaybird323 macrumors newbie

Handbrake Problem

I used Handbrake to convert my DVD disc to my i-touch and it works great, but when I try to "open source" to convert MPEG videos on my computer Handbrake shuts down automatically. Can anyone help me with this problem please? I don't want to pay for anything, because I broke let most of the world, BUT at leadt I have an i-touch :) Thank you

8. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

Is visualHub and Handbrake compatible with 10.5.1? I looked on the sites and saw they mentioned 10.4, but didn't see a mention of leopard, unless I missed it.

Thanks

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I use VisualHub (which is the one I recommend) all the time on Leopard. Works great.

10. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm trying out Handbrake now, but VisualHub is only ~$25 so I may get that as well, especially if it does more.

On another note, I'm loving this new iMac. I loved my old one, but it didn't have a DVD drive, so I wasn't able to do this stuff. I'm kind of learning as I go.

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

EasyWMV- convert videos to mpg/mp4/iPod and music too.

MPEG Streamclip- convert to many types, and edit videos in a snap.

iSquint- convert video to mp4 or iPod format, and automatically put in iTunes.

QT Sync- combine many video together.

VLC- plays almost any type of video in fullscreen.

12. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

Hey, I've got a quick question. How long should it take one of these apps to rip a movie? I'm using handbrake on a movie that's less than two hours and it has taken an hour+ so far and it doesn't seem to be nearly done. Is this normal?

13. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yes; many, if not most, DVD rippers can even only manage to rip real-time if you have a fairly powerful computer. Ripping even quicker than real-time requires a lot of power. So it's perfectly normal for a two hour movie to take at least two hours to rip, and not uncommon for it to take up to four. In my experience, you're usually okay even if it takes up to 2x as long, but beyond that, you may be doing something wrong.

Edit: JUST ripping doesn't take as long, but the conversion does. If you're just extracting the data, that should only take as long as it normally does for you to transfer data, but if you're also using handbrake to convert to mp4 or something (like I usually do) then that will take a long time, like you're probably experiencing.

14. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I am converting to MP4 so that explains that.

15. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To rip DVDs I use Handbrake, I just left my MacBook with a good list in the queue overnight. It's free and I love to find the Message to put down the cocktail early in the morning.
    And for non-protected video files I use ElGato Turbo which works faster.
    ________
    jailbroken

16. Queso macrumors G4

Try out iSquint before you purchase VisualHub. It's a cut down version of the same software, and as such is free.

17. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

maybe I don't understand, but how do you set up a queue? I have DVD in my iMac now, and am ripping/converting from that. My understanding is I can only do one at a time because I have to have the DVD in the computer the whole time.

Is there a more efficient way to do this? Thanks for all the help everyone.