Coverting to Mac - Which Macbook Pro Should I Purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wepn829, Jun 23, 2010.

1. wepn829 macrumors newbie

I am a lifelong Dell Laptop user, but have decided that upon the death (after 2 years) of my latest laptop, I am switching over to a Mac - the MacBook Pro to be precise. And to be even more precise the 15" one.

I am just not sure which 15" to get, and what upgrades to purchase. This will be a home use computer, so I will basically be using it to listen and download music, upload and view pictures, watch movies, and regular internet activity. As of now, using it beyond those things is not really planned.

I am just not sure if I should be concerned with the processor speed and hard drive speed. The 15"'s come with either 2.4GHz, 2.53GHz, or 2.66GHz and each can be upgraded to a 500GB Hard Drive with either 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm.

I am ok with spending the extra money if needed or if it will help keep the product alive longer. I plan on keeping this laptop for a while but not sure what is enough. Is there anything else in addition to what I mentioned above that I should be concerned with?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 2.4GHz model is more than sufficient for your use, even the 13" MBP with its C2D CPUs would be fine.

The difference between the two HDD options (5400 vs. 7200 RPM) is not that big and will not really affect your usage, thus I recommend to get the 5400 RPM model, then at a later time either get a 7200 RPM 500GB HDD or a bigger one and replace it yourself (quite easy, less than ten minutes) and use the HDD that came with your Mac as a backup drive or external storage in a 2.5" HDD enclosure (USB ones cost between 10 to 20 €).

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Definitely go with the base i5 MBP, that would be overkill for your requirements so no point in spending extra money on the mid to top range.

4. microcolt macrumors regular

If you want this to just be a home thing then i5 indeed would work perfect for your needs. As far as helping it live longer get some Apple Care(not that anything should go wrong) just in case.

Who knows, maybe later you will want to put the i5 to good use and start gaming on that thing, lol. :p

5. toffa813 macrumors regular

For the extra $50, go for the 7200RPM drive since its already installed and is definitely quicker. I did and I'm not looking back. (only forward to an SSD)

Other than that, I'd say go stock 2.4 all the way.

6. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

For the activities you mentioned, the 13" would be much more than sufficient for your power demands. However, you should consider that very small resolution of the 13". It's an embarrassingly low resolution for it's price point and 2010. If it's an issue for you, though it's not for many, get the 15" with or without the higher resolution option.

The 5400rpm is also fast enough for your needs.

7. Sequin macrumors regular

They're all fabulous. Just get one of every type.

8. wepn829 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thans everyone. I placed my order today. The 15" MBP with 2.53GHz i5 and 500GB HD. I get a 10% discount through work and it was basically the same price as the 2.4GHz upgraded to a 500GB HD.

It comes next week, so I am sure I will be on here again.

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Big congrats ~~~~~~ :)

10. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

What speed is the drive?

11. pinsrw macrumors regular

If you will be moving the laptop outside of your abode at all I would suggest getting the 13 incher. It is much lighter and you'll save $600-700, which you can use that to buy a huge monitor or HDTV to connect it to at home. The Core i5 is faster but at most 50% more and you often won't need the extra speed.

12. Mark.W macrumors member

It's also nosier and consumes more power, so there's a trade-off.

13. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Usually. It depends which 5400rpm and 7200rpm you're comparing. Hitachi, for example, makes a 7200rpm that's quieter and has less vibration than many 5400rpm drives.