Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Ok... last year i would work countless hours on a senior movie for my high shcool. There was many late nights at school working on the project. On two or three occasions i would wake up my machine and a cow would proceed to run across the screen. I thought it was me tripping cause it was late at night and i was tired but today it happened again during the day! I researched and apparently it is something that happens. Anyone else experience this mad cow?

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Ok i cant stand it anymore! I need to know how to call him in final cut pro 3. I have been ctrl clicking the tool menu for hours. Does anyone know where to click to call him in FCP 3? I have also been searching google for hours! Help!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Bruce gets scared and runs off when you move the mouse, so I doubt you will see any screen shots, unless someone happens to have their camera near by at the right time.

However, I would like to see Bruce as well.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
keysersoze said:
Can we get a screenshot?

Just pure curiosity.

Here ya go...

Attachments

• Yakety Yak.jpg
    Yakety Yak.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 125

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
I got Bruce to appear. He sure says some funnny stuff. I am going to take some pics later I dont want to scare him away!

I will also write down some of his corny lines. I mean... excellent lines.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
And the best thing is - if you run it on a MacBook, you get the sound effects too! ;)

Funny, it's almost like a throw-back to classic Mac apps such as the Talking Moose.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
iGary said:
Is this just in FCP 3?

I don't know about FCP 5 as I don't (yet) have it, but it does appear in FCP 4 and 4.5/HD. One way to activate it is to open the buttons list (opt-L) then type Bruce in the search box (the capital B is important), then back up and delete the shift character at the beginning of Bruce. A button will appear in the list called "Call The Yak". You can drag the button onto a toolbar, and when you click it, the button will automatically disappear and Bruce will come out on the screen. You have to be careful not to scare him off.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
It goes back to Macromedia for sure but the same guys i am sure crossed over when apple bought it. Its a very cool thing... I am going to write down his quotes and shoot a vid of it to post soon. i hope haha.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, this goes back to 1998 when Macromedia was prepping it for release as Key Grip. The joke amongst the developers was that if they didn't ship it by a certain deadline (can't remember what it was), they'd might as well be herding yaks. I believe that quote could still be found somewhere in a resource file for quite some time...maybe still today.

donnyarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
The Cow

Yes, I have been seeing this dude for over 5years. I have Final Cut HD Studio and I just seen this dude again tonight. I've been telling people about him for years and everyone has told me to get to sleep. I'm on the hunt for this dude and I'll post it on my website. Sometimes I would leave the computer, get some zzz's, then get up and there he goes running across my screen. I hit him with the mouse one day trying to stop him and knocked him backwards then a little message balloon came up and he spoke spanish to me. I said forget it and went back to sleep. I want to know why this dude has followed me from Final Cut the first addition to a whole different computer, software, and year. I want to know where is this dude hidding and who created him (his momma or poppa)? I think he's distroying something but I haven't figured it out yet because he's always eating when I catch him. What the hell is he eating and why is he scared?

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
http://www.eeggs.com/items/44354.html

This egg may work with older versions of Final Cut Pro, but I have only confirmed its presence in FCP 4.5
The egg will present itself if FCP is left alone for several days. There is a way to call upon Bruce, however.
In FCP, press [Option-J]
In the search field in the opened window, type "Bruce".
The search box will have "[shift icon]Bruce". Use the left arrow key to move the cursor left and delete the shift icon. Do not press [Return].
In the main field of the window, a button option will have appeared entitled "Call Bruce". Drag this button option into any window to add it to the customizable toolbars.
Press the button.
Supposedly, Bruce was a Yak added to Final Cut Pro as the FCP equivalent of the Mac OS's Clarus [the famous Dogcow]. Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.