Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepBlade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
How come when you copy an application from one location to another using cp -R on the .app "directory", the size and the contents change?

I understand that the .app "directory" is not just a simple directory, so I was wondering if someone could give more details?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
How come when you copy an application from one location to another using cp -R on the .app "directory", the size and the contents change?

I understand that the .app "directory" is not just a simple directory, so I was wondering if someone could give more details?

The unix cp command is somewhat lazy. It sees a sym link and does not copy the link but rather makes a new copy of whatever file was linked and names it the same as the sym link. On first glance, everything looks OK, but closer examination reveals what were links before CP are now files.

Whenever I run cp -R and wind up with differing sizes, I check for symbolic links that have been converted to copies. I have not noticed a situation where the destination of a cp command gets smaller unless I didn't have read permission on some of the files I was trying to copy.

A more robust method of copying is to use

tar cf - * | ( cd /target; tar xfp -)
( I haven't used this in years, but basically you are creating a tarball and piping it to a command to untar it at the new destination.) more here...

tar is a lot smarter than cp and links remain links.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The unix cp command is somewhat lazy. It sees a sym link and does not copy the link but rather makes a new copy of whatever file was linked and names it the same as the sym link. On first glance, everything looks OK, but closer examination reveals what were links before CP are now files.

Whenever I run cp -R and wind up with differing sizes, I check for symbolic links that have been converted to copies. I have not noticed a situation where the destination of a cp command gets smaller unless I didn't have read permission on some of the files I was trying to copy.

A more robust method of copying is to use

tar czvf - | tar xzvf
(sorry I don't remember the exact syntax b/c I haven't used this in years, but basically you are creating a tarball and piping it to a command to untar it at the new destination.) more here...

tar is a lot smarter than cp and links remain links.

Agreed. Later versions of cp include the option -d to preserve links. OP, you should see if your version of cp has this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.