CPR for dying external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mysterytramp, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I have a 750 GB external Maxtor drive with five partitions. One, at about 500 GB, has my Time Machine backup and won't mount. We've had several power outages over the past few months because of the weather. Often, after the power's restored, the permissions on the Maxtor are screwed up and I have to run Disk Utility. Usually, that's all it takes.

After the last outage, the Maxtor came back but the permissions on the Time Machine partition were screwed up. Ran Disk Utility to repair them, and the drive refused to mount again. The other partitions, however, are back up and appear fine.

I'm sure I'm going to have to reformat the entire drive eventually, but it would be great to pull off the backups first. The drive isn't cooperating, Disk Utility can't resurrect the drive, even temporarily, and the Maxtor software seems useless.

I've searched the App Store and other sites for some kind of heavy duty disk utility (Norton, where have you gone?). Looks like nothing's out there. Is that true?

mt

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Disk Warrior.

Has saved my butt so many times. Worth every penny.