Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Has anyone else noticed that under Tiger that CPU activity is much more active under 'IDLE' conditions? Even activity monitor show nothing running but contradicts %user use value (see picture)

My CPUs site at or near 50% even with nothing running. Could this be Dashboard? Spotlight appears to be idle (ie not indexing). Just curious as under 10.3.9 idle meant 1 or two bars of activity not half of them.

See Picture

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 125

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Found Culprit - it is Virex

Found Problem

VShield Check - part of Virex - hmmmm is this necessary?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 94

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
i think Vshield has something to do with Virex, have you got it installed?
I really don't know why people have it and why .mac adds it as a free app download. It only removes Windows viruses...which don't effect the Mac, unless you are in a Office environment and wish not to pass them onto the windoze users.
I suggest removing Virex completely, it is useless

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Vshield is Virex, which doesn't run correctly on Tiger. That's why it is no longer offered on .Mac. Uninstall it. This is a well known issue.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
daveL said:
Vshield is Virex, which doesn't run correctly on Tiger. That's why it is no longer offered on .Mac. Uninstall it. This is a well known issue.

That is true, I believe some users here already stated that Virex taxes the CPU a lot. Conclusion: get rid of it. :)

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Thank You

daveL said:

Yup my bad! It was Virex.

Deleted and SURPRISE - problem went away!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.