CPU at 104F - Too hot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by percival504, Mar 1, 2012.

1. percival504 macrumors regular

I did an upgrade from 2.8 quad to 3.33 hex; just wondering if everything is OK.

TIA.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It will automatically shutdown if it overheats.

3. percival504 thread starter macrumors regular

4. strausd macrumors 68030

5. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I am thinking of installing the hex processor as well soon. I did a little dust cleaning the other day and found that my processor runs 5-6 degrees cooler now. Whether it be rendering or just idle. Maybe give a few squirts of compressed air and it will run cooler?

Is this when you are idle it's 104? That seems high? Does the 6 core run hotter than a quad?

6. percival504 thread starter macrumors regular

Not idle, but not hard work either.

I think the problem is that I have it sitting in front of one my tube mono block amplifiers. They are relatively small amplifiers, but they do put out a significant amount of heat. You're probably thinking: "yes, stupid, that is probably the problem", but, because it seems like other who have done the upgrade have had overheating problems, I was just concerned that I had not done the upgrade properly.

I am still worried - it was just so easy to do (I followed Phillipma1957's excellent breakdown). I have not had any problems... yet.

7. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

If it eases your worry, mine is at 104F right now. Thermometer on wall in the room says it's 70F, ambient sensor in the Mac reads 82F. I installed this chip about two months ago, and have been running it pretty hard while editing HD video.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not hot at all. That's only 40C, which is low for a CPU. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C/221F, GPU Tjmax = 100C/212F on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)