CPU B using more power than CPU A?

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Looking in iStat menus the other day, I noticed that CPU B was consistently using more power than CPU A (not more Volts, more amps and watts). Is this normal? is this bad?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
The balance of processor usage between cores is never the same. If you are using an app that can only use a single processing core then it will increase the load on that cpu thus increasing the power draw on that core.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
So it would appear that this is normal then. I just got scared for a minute; I'm very protective of my 42 lb baby :D

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I've found it's best to not stare at the sensors display in iStat Menus too long. :) You start getting paranoid. (Although it does tell you interesting things about why battery life mysteriously goes away in Snow Leopard)

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
I've found it's best to not stare at the sensors display in iStat Menus too long. :) You start getting paranoid. (Although it does tell you interesting things about why battery life mysteriously goes away in Snow Leopard)
I get way to obsessed with the stats that iStat gives me, the problem is that I also set up the iPhone app so I can see stats wherever I am.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Ya, that's true. I like to look at the processors one though; I'm still amazed that I have 8 physical cores in my computer. I went from a 12" PowerBook to a 2.8 GHz octo Mac Pro. That's like going from a Civic to a Zonda F roadster :D

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
The OS frequently switches the core an application hogs to balance thermal loading of the die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.