CPU B using more power than CPU A?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macuserx86, Dec 9, 2009.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Looking in iStat menus the other day, I noticed that CPU B was consistently using more power than CPU A (not more Volts, more amps and watts). Is this normal? is this bad?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files:

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

The balance of processor usage between cores is never the same. If you are using an app that can only use a single processing core then it will increase the load on that cpu thus increasing the power draw on that core.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

On my 2009 MP the A CPU usually runs hotter and uses more power.

4. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

So it would appear that this is normal then. I just got scared for a minute; I'm very protective of my 42 lb baby :D

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I've found it's best to not stare at the sensors display in iStat Menus too long. :) You start getting paranoid. (Although it does tell you interesting things about why battery life mysteriously goes away in Snow Leopard)

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I get way to obsessed with the stats that iStat gives me, the problem is that I also set up the iPhone app so I can see stats wherever I am.

7. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Ya, that's true. I like to look at the processors one though; I'm still amazed that I have 8 physical cores in my computer. I went from a 12" PowerBook to a 2.8 GHz octo Mac Pro. That's like going from a Civic to a Zonda F roadster :D

8. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The OS frequently switches the core an application hogs to balance thermal loading of the die.