CPU Board and Fan Concerns - Mac Pro 2010 6-Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Desmo1098, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

So I have been having these terrible grinding noises come from within my Mac Pro. I thought it was the forward most fan in the chassis. The Apple Store replaced it at my request. However, the noise is still there.

So I decided to take the side panel off while the machine was powered on and listen closely to see where the noise is coming from. I pinpointed it to the fan that is built-in to the large heat sink on the CPU.

So I decided to shut it down and pull out the CPU board and I let the processor cool down. After about 20 minutes I came back and taking all the precautions I sprayed some compressed air at the fan and specifically the bearing area. The noise seems to have lowered a little bit to where it is only audible if I am really paying attention.

Other than that I can barely notice it now. My question is, should I be concerned with it? Should I have it replaced? By the way, if I use smcFanControl and adjust the speed, the fan operates as I expect it to with no noise. I think it just has a sensitive spot around idle (~608 rpm) where it hits its natural frequency and vibrates a little bit.

Any thoughts?

Additionally while I was poking around I found something interesting, the CPU board has a copyright date of 2009 on it. I found this strange because I though that these 6-core cpu's would require a new board design. The reason I bring this up is because some of the areas on the board had corrosion or something similar. See pictures. Should I be concerned about this?

I know I am being a little neurotic, but I spent $5000 on a computer I do not planning on replacing for the next 5 years and just want to put these worries to rest.

Also, does anyone know what the connector CPU ITP is on the CPU board?

Click on pictures for larger view....

Attached Files:

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The ITP connector is used for debugging board components.

In regards to the fan, have it replaced if it bugs you. It isn't at all surprising that a fan is making noise, but if you are concerned that the bearings are the issue, have it replaced.

In regards to the copyright, the year is simply when the design of the board itself was copyrighted. The same reference design can be used despite fitting new components onto the board.

As far as the corrosion, it may not be corrosion at all. Brown color does not automatically mean it is corroded. Have you ever soldered before? Using too high heat can discolor the solder. Chances are, you aren't looking at corroded metal but instead discolored metal as a result of the manufacturing process.

Unless you can tell that it is absolutely corroding, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

The two loudest components in my 2010 6 core Mac Pro are the 5870 card's fan and the PSU's fan (as well as the PSU buzzing noise which isn't normal). The case fans seem to be okay.

4. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

:) Cool thanks guys. Yes, I should of known that it could not of been corrosion. You are right about the solder, I am almost certain that is what it is.

Talked to my Apple business rep, he is going to replace the fan. Everything else on this machine is silent.

Thanks again!

5. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Which fan exactly is loud?

6. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

the fan that is integrated into the cpu heatsink. It is grinding like the bearing is bad.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo