CPU cooling and overclocking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickarmadillo, Dec 17, 2009.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

My long awaited gaming build is finally complete. I ended up going to Microcenter and actually got a great price and great service. They even offered to price match Newegg on everything.

The system includes:
    Antec 902 Case
    Asus P7P55D Motherboard
    Corsair 750W Power Supply
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 RAM
    Core i5 750 Processor
    Saphire Radeon 5850 Video Card
    Western Digital Black 1Tb 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
    Acer H213H Full HD 21.5" Monitor

Total: appx US$1300

Now that my build is complete, I just had a few final questions.
    *Firstly, which way should the CPU Cooler (and its fan) be oriented. Right now it is horozontal win the fan on the bottom, but I don't know if this is providing maximum airflow given the location of the intake and exhaust fans. Anyone fammiliar with the Antec 900/902 have any advice?

*Also, I am looking to overclock my i5 and potentially my video card, but I have never done any overclocking before. Could anyone provide/link a very simple "overclocking on the Asus p7p55d for dummies" kind of guide?

Thank you.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I can't answer the questions, but holy s*** Micro Center pricematches Newegg??????? I think I know where I'm going for all of my future computer purchases.

3. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

There isn't actually an official pricematching policy, but the associates are given the ability to negotiate. I just walked in with a printout of all the parts I was ordering from Newegg (The Egg was out of the Hard Drive I wanted, so I was looking at MC). I had one of the people there find the part and he asked what I was building. I mentioned that I would like to order from Microcenter, but that Newegg had better prices on certain parts. In order to get my business they dropped the case $10, the HD $30, the RAM $40, the power supply $10, and the monitor $40. Pretty significant discounts and I was able to walk away with my parts in-hand and not worry about RMAs and shipping hassles.

4. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

The CPU fans should be aimed towards the back of the case, where there should be a fan sucking air out of the case. Sounds like a good build, just wondering why you went for the 750 when the 860 is only 70 euro's more? I am very torn between the 860 and 920 atm I prefer the 920 mobo's but the 1156 mobo prices

5. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your purchase.

I am interested too into whether a decent gaming-laptop which is not too much of a hassle (Alienware-like laptops), or a desktop..

I'd also like to know more about overclocking and all that stuff.

6. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That seems like a somewhat strange arrangement, but I will give it a try. The 212 is a wide cooler and if I orient it this way the heatsink actually almost touches the 5850. Thats what I get for putting oversized components in a mid-tower I guess. Right now the CPU fan is blowing the air down (working in concert with the large 200mm intake fan on the top of the case rather than the 120mm exhaust on the back). Any ideas about overclocking?