CPU/Fan/SMC - Weird usage issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ManhattanPrjct, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

About a month ago I noticed that my fan didn't stop spinning on my 07 Macbook for a long time, even when no applications were open. A restart always seemed to stop the issue, but after a while, and some CPU usage, the fan would just start back up again, non-stop.

I started paying more and more attention to the Activity Monitor and noticed that even while I was doing nothing (every user application closed), User CPU % would be around 50%. I have no printer, so no open print jobs would be running. I reset my SMC controls periodically, but I just can't understand what would be forcing my computer to work so hard while I'm literally doing nothing. Even as I write this post, I can see that if I sort by CPU usage, only Activity Monitor and Safari are active, but in the stats section, it's constantly 40%-50% used.

Does anybody know what is going on?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well activity monitor should tell you what is using that 50% CPU.

3. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the thing - if i sort by CPU - it only adds up to 7%-10% at the most, but the stats section (with the green/red bar-graphs) always reads much higher.

4. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay - here are a couple of screenshots - who can explain what is draining my CPU usage?

Attached Files:

5. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Try changing the view from "My Processes" to "All Processes." See if that gives you a different list.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The process isn't showing, do what Thiol said, and the offending process should/will be in there.

7. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

That did it - it was iavd - my iAntivirus program. I guess I should update to the paying version (or just get another program).

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Alternatively you can remove it and just be on your way, as there aren't any viruses for OS X in the wild.