CPU gets really hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle1320, Apr 28, 2011.

1. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Hey all, while playing Minecraft on my 2011 13" 2.3GHz MBP, the CPU gets to 78 degrees C in about 10 minutes of play, while the fan is at about 6000 RPM. Is this too hot? When I exit, the temp immediately goes down to about 60 degrees C and in 5-10 minutes is under 50 even though the fan goes back down to around 2000 rpm. Is it possible it's not being read right? Is that too hot for the i5? The bottom of my MBP doesn't seem too hot, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: The CPU usage is only about 25% total.

2. GGJstudios, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. simsaladimbamba

Those temps are perfectly normal as GGJstudios* would say.
    You play a CPU intensive game, and if the CPU is getting used, it needs more power, thus more heat is generated, thus more heat has to blow away by faster spinning fans.
    Again, those temps are normal, the CPU can take up to 105°C or more, and it would shut down the Mac in case of overheating danger.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

* the bastard

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you had bothered to use the search button, you would've found the gazillion threads asking the very same question regarding heat, and would've found the same answer I'm about to give you:

Yes your temperatures are normal, gaming requires more processing power from the CPU and GPU and more processing power = more heat. Your computer is not overheating, if it was, it would shut itself down to prevent damage. The chips are meant to handle 105C, you're perfectly fine.

Lastly, just use your machine as you want to, and don't worry about it.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You think thats hot? I've got a 13" Core2Duo MBP and it gets up to 90-100C when I'm playing Minecraft. Since the ix generally run hotter than Core2Duo (I think) the heat is fine.

BTW: Everything you need to know about Macs and heat.