CPU getting hot in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 064629009, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 064629009 macrumors member

Whenever I boot Windows, even if I'm not doing anything, the fans are running really quickly and the laptop (2010 MBP i7 with 4gb of ram) gets really hot. My friend told me that maybe I can fix this by allocating more ram to the partition? Is this even possible?
    I use Bootcamp, by the way, with Windows Tiny7.

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

Not standard windows? ("Tiny7") Is it possible that the power saving in "Tiny7" is not working properly? (some try to cut down on size of Windows -whatever version- and unintentionally take out essential functionality - on a desktop power saving and CPU state does not matter but on a laptop it does).

Load up a proper Windows version and then check again. Make sure your EFI version is up to date. If everything else fails then try running windows under Parallels or VMware and see what happens there. In spite of WEI (Windows Experience Index) giving me a hopeless rating my actual charting software runs faster in a virtual machine. Bench marking is only an indication and you don't know for sure until tested.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, so um. Here's the thing. Apple hates Windows. Their drivers suck. You can't even disable the dedicated GPU on some macbook models, for longer battery life. On the older models, their trackpad drivers suck, and their keyboard drivers don't even work properly. Battery life (on a good install) is roughly 1/2 of what it is under OS X.

If your only flaw is heat and fan noise, consider yourself lucky.

4. DougDingle macrumors newbie

Do a Google search for "Lubbo's MacBook Pro Fan Control". It's open source and free.

I have it installed here, and while it does have a few quirks (like being unable to be marked as part of ANY startup group, and therefore has to be loaded manually every time), it works very well on my win7/64 bootcamp partition to keep things cool.