CPU, GPU, GPGPU use in OS 10.6... performance....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IFixTheInternet, Jan 27, 2009.

1. IFixTheInternet macrumors member

IFixTheInternet

I've been reading up on GPU (graphic processing unit) and GPGPU (general processing graphic unit). I have read that OpenCL will be intergated into OSX 10.6 when its released to take advantage of the untapped processing potential of the GPU. M0st of what I've come across indicates high processing potential but doesn't get to specific on what would actually be able to use that power on. I am Architecture student spending most of my time in MAYA. Could this help rendering time? Maybe real-time fluid dynamics? What I'd like to know... and hoping some one might be able to clue me into is how GPGPUs could be used / useful to someone using 3D applications, video editing, music editing... I'd love to know if popping in kick@$$ 2nd video card would give me that performance boost, but i'm doubting it would be that simple.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We won't know until Snow Leopard is out and applications being using those APIs. Just like Leopard and just like Tiger...

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anything using CUDA, OpenCL for a start, then look at what Tesla from Nvidia can help with over on the nvidia site - they give a few examples. Specific programs will be harder to pin down till launch.

4. Stachelsk macrumors regular

GPGPUs are really, really, really good at calculating numbers. GPGPUs are really, really, really bad at branching, conditionals, ... or anything besides dealing with numbers.

That aside, I haven't exactly figured out how the new OpenCL architecture is going to help everyday users, but I do know if you're doing something that deals with a lot of calculations, you're going to see an enormous boost i processing speed.

As far as adding a second video card, you're out of luck. As long as you have a dedicated card (not integrated) that's worth something, my guess is some applications are going to experience speed increases by 400% or more.

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the likes of image manipulation and effects, like photoshop, finalcut etc and video/media encoding will see MASSIVE performance boosts.

I seem to recall a podcast that discussed this a while back and made claims that they had seen video encoding performance jump (on a test they'd done) from 20 hours to less than 1 .... this was using similar GPGPU techniques to OpenCL

I think for that average user using MSword or other regular things we'll see very little tangible difference.

6. IFixTheInternet thread starter macrumors member

IFixTheInternet

I would love to see some of python scripts I write to process faster. Given that they are in there simplest forms, lists of points in space and the movement of those points in space, I'd like to think they would benefit form the GPGPU. Some of my recent scripts have had to run 30 minutes or more before i even begin to see results on screen.