CPU hit 223F while putting music on iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pinkie Pie, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Pinkie Pie, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

Over the last six months, I've come to accept that Flash, Handbrake and copying 2,000 mp3s from an iPod are all tasks too demanding for my Macbook. The poor C2D would max itself out and hit temperatures above boiling. Ok, you're 5, you're not what you used to be - I understand. I won't push it! No more Handbrake!

But last night it happened while I was putting a 180 song playlist on my iPhone. ಠ_ಠ

What the heck could be causing this? Performance is excellent until I do something, uh, demanding. Like putting mp3s on my phone (WTF). Once the demanding task is completed, everything goes back to normal. It's never shut itself down in self-defense.

Could it be the thermal paste? Logic board? SHOULD I THROW IN AN SSD?! Or is this a normal and completely safe for a 4,1? Because it's kind of getting in my way, and I've got to keep this one going until the end of the year at least.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Pinkie Pie, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

Pinkie Pie thread starter macrumors regular

1. I was watching Activity Monitor and iStat Pro while this happened. It was iTunes, using up to 120% of CPU all by itself.

2. I want to know what could be causing these performance problems and how to prevent a future shut down. My computer shouldn't be doing an impression of a rocket ship while updating my iPhone! Unless that's just something that starts happening at this age... :(

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iTunes may be downconverting the music as it transfers. That'll chew up CPU resources.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If the MacBook is five years old and constantly overheating while doing normal tasks, you might do some good by replacing the thermal paste. I did the same to my old Core Duo MacBook a year or so ago, and it instantly cooled the little bugger down. Give this guide a look, and see if it's something you'd be up to. If it is, go for it! If not, find a techie friend that wouldn't mind doing it for you, or take it to an independent computer repair place. Best of luck mate!