Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Hi

When I really tax my system's cpu and RAM, I'll lose my various sound FX, like when I move a folder to a new location, or to the trash, or emptying the trash.

The volume up and down sound doesn't stop though.

Just wondering what's up with that, and if there is a remedy other than a reboot or permissions.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i have the exact same problem. i've seen some other threads about it too, i don't know if there's any real fix yet. i'm bummed.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
I think we're the only ones with this issue...

I've been trying to narrow it down to a specific app that may be causing it.

I thought it was when I was running a Bit Torrent client, and a bunch of other apps, and my RAM would get really used up...causing the loss of FX. But now that I'm trying to reproduce the problem, everything is fine of course..

So, I don't know. When your FX dissapear, does your "volume up down FX" stay the same? mine do.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It has to do with the fact that there is no real built-in audio hardware--the CPU has to process things, due to Apple's agreement with Apple Corps.

The only real fix is to buy an outboard USB/FireWire/PCI Card processor and connect external speakers to it. (Yes, you shouldn't have to do it.)

M-Audio sells a full line of such products.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
bousozoku said:
It has to do with the fact that there is no real built-in audio hardware--the CPU has to process things, due to Apple's agreement with Apple Corps.

The only real fix is to buy an outboard USB/FireWire/PCI Card processor and connect external speakers to it. (Yes, you shouldn't have to do it.)

M-Audio sells a full line of such products.

hmmmmm, interesting....

So am I right about my theory of the sound effects dissapearing when I use a lot of Ram/Cpu ?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
yeah, my volume up/down sounds remain, just other sound fx disappear.

and man, i hafta buy something extra!? i think i'll just wait for a software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.