CPU Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keredP3, May 18, 2011.

1. keredP3 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 2011 13" base model for the past few months has occasionally been acting up.

The CPU randomly, even when my laptop is idle, will just start working super hard. I notice because the fans would crank up to 6000rpm, and i check iStat and see that the CPU is running at 100% running nothing but iCoreServices.

I can run other programs normally, but the fans will always be running and the CPU never seems to stop running at 100%. I have left it idle for at most 15 mins at one time and it still continued to do the same thing. My only option everytime it happens is to hold down the power button and shut it off manually because it is just stuck on a blue screen when i try to shut down or restart. This has happened about 5 times since I got the laptop in March.

Anyone know what's up?

2. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Please post a screen shot or your activity monitor when this is happening.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yes, and make sure you select the dropdown to show "all processes"

4. krravi macrumors 65816

Are you doing a time machine backup over the network? Like using an Apple Extreme wireless router?

I have Trend Micro running that was scanning every bit of data being backed up to my Airport extreme and had the same issue as yours.

Turned off real time scanning till the backups are done and now the Mac is back to normal.

Yes yes.. I don't need a virus scanner on a mac... but I got it with some purchase from Best Buy and thought I would try it out. It's been very helpful in detecting bad websites and warns me...I guess that would be for malware for Windows. But I just have it, just in case.

5. jz- macrumors regular

Is it the kernel_task process? If it is, try sleeping the computer for ~15 seconds.

6. krravi macrumors 65816

No it is iCoreServices..

7. aschneid42 macrumors newbie

My iCoreServices process jumps all over the place with its %CPU value, seemingly uncorrelated with anything obvious. Most interestingly its been spending a bit of time around 130% the last few minutes. Of course I can still do stuff like type this message... so I'm not even sure what it means. The CUP monitor tab at the bottom still shows like 70% idle at the same time, so something doesn't really make sense.