CPU on MP 2010 from W3550 to W3680

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iskid, Nov 14, 2012.

  1. iskid macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2012
    Hi! I've got a Mac Pro Mid 2010 Xeon 4Core 2.8Ghz (W3550) with 12Gb Ram 1066, XFX 6870 with an EFI Bios (instead of the 5770), and a Led Cinema Disp 27 (not thunderb)..

    I'd like to get a W3680 (Xeon 6Core 3.33Ghz), 590 euro. I have to change my Ram also (1333 instead of 1066), 90 euro..

    I need some advice: today is better to spend 700 euro to change the CPU (and give up USB3, Sata3 and Thunderb), or is better to wait any new Mac Pro (may be in Feb-Mar), whereas certainly buy the base model (2800-3000 euro)??

    Thank's to all :)
  2. Loa macrumors 68000


    May 5, 2003

    There are no clear answer for your question. It depends on your usage. Is the performance increase worth the price for the year until we get a new MP?

    Also, you don't need to upgrade your RAM: going from 1066 to 1333 is a negligible difference: don't spend a single dime on that.

  3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Dec 17, 2009
    1. This implies we are for sure getting a new Mac Pro. We are going to get "something new" in 2013 that replaces the current Mac Pro, but no one knows what that is for sure.
    2. What if 2013 means Nov-Dec 2013? Would you get your $$$ worth upgrading and getting a year out of the faster processor? I.e. would the faster processor make 600 Euro for you between now and then? What about resale value with the 6-core processor in a year?
    3. Will a 6-core processor allow you to skip the 2013 model and wait for the 2014 (assuming there is a 2014)?

    Just some stuff to think about....
  4. iskid thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2012

    Hi! Why you wrote "the year until we get a new MP"?

    I heard new MP wil be availabe on Feb/Mar 2013, but today others told me "late 2013".. What do you think? Only 3-4 months or may be september-october?

    Thank you for your advice about Ram, are you sure? Not bad save 100 euro :)
    My Ram exactly is a kit: Kingston KTA-MP1066K3/12G. Do you think it can work at 1333??
  5. wonderspark macrumors 68040


    Feb 4, 2010
    Fix up your current Mac Pro now, and use it now. Life happens today, not in the future, which may never bring a new Mac Pro.
  6. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    It's not that the ram will work or not at 1333, it's that you won't notice the speed difference between 1066 and 1333. The difference is incredibly small. Spend your upgrade money elsewhere, or save it.
  7. DPUser macrumors 6502a

    Jan 17, 2012
    Yes, the RAM does not need to be upgraded. I have a 2009 4,1 I upgraded to 2010 5,1 with the Hex 3.33 CPU the OP is considering. I did not upgrade my 1066 RAM, and it still works great!
  8. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816


    Nov 15, 2010
    Edinburgh, UK
    And you should consider... do you actually need the extra speed for work or do you just want it because you can have it? What are you using your MP for that is worth spending the €590 on?

Share This Page