CPU overload, need new mac?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Memmen, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Memmen macrumors newbie

I'm sitting on a 13" early 2011 macbook pro and I can't work in logic at all...

I'm trying to finsh my mix but all I get is cpu overloard errors, it is making me crazy!

I'm running about 50 tracks and I've realized that there are some waves plugins that takes the most CPU, like JJP Guitars, CLA Bass and CLA Guitar.

I was thinking about getting a brand new 15" macbook pro, but I don't know if that will make it? I was thinking about to upgrade it to SSD and 8gb ram, but my friend who has the new macbook pro and SSD (not 8gb ram though) even he gets overloads from time to time (also did a test with 10 channels including these 3 plugins on each channel, he got overload)...

Can someone help me? I dont want to buy a 2000 dollar mac (think they even cost more here in sweden) and then still get overloads... What should I do?

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Look up Geekbench and Barefeats.com benchmarks. There is some CPU difference between your current MBP and the new top of the line one, but not tons. Same number of cores. Check the logic forums for what a realistic limit on your mix with realtime plug-ins is, and what users expect out of a laptop mix.

I don't think the SSD makes much difference in this context, maybe not even the ram.

Otherwise, get a second hand mac pro, and never feel that pain again.

3. Memmen thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunno if I wrote wrong the first time but I have a 13" macbook pro now and was thinking about getting the cheaper 15" (2 cores to 4 cores).

I know the mac pro is best but it hasn't got updates in years and... it's not portable... A year ago I wouldn't mind but after using a macbook pro now (first laptop for me) I'm having a hard time imagine myself with a stationary computer again...

4. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

set i/o buffer to 512/1024 when mixing. have you done it?

5. Memmen thread starter macrumors newbie

Done all that can be done. 1024 buffer size, reduced the "undo steps" to 7 from 30. Freezing tracks all the time (this is also time comsuming)...