CPU pegged at 100%?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Objectivist-C, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

After installing Leopard, my CPU usage has been continually stuck at 100%. I'm using an iBook G4, and I did a clean install, using Migration Assistant to copy over files/settings.

The process that seems to be using the most CPU right now is "installdb", but others (including iCal) were doing the same earlier.

2. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

same issue

Yeah, my CPU is around 80% all the time with constant disk activity. I have a G5 @ 1.6GHz

I have video issues as well. Spotting all over the place. Nice job Apple....

3. jbardi macrumors member

Now, now, just because you are having spotty video and 80-100% CPU usage does not mean it is a definite problem with Apple. It is easy to always blame the install, but since most people installing on G4 and G5 are not having spotty video and crazy CPU usage, it sounds more likely that the issue is with what was on your system before the upgrade, such as corrupt .plist files or other configuration files. I would first try making a blank Preferences folder and renaming your current Preferences folder to see if these applications start running normal with NO cpu issues... then you can start trying to track down the corrupt config file.

4. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

I had zero problems before the 10.5 upgrade. I reinstalled my ATI drivers and that fixed the video issues. However, most graphic animations are terribly slow. I would assume 256mb of vRAM is sufficient, is it not?

5. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

How long have you been having a problem, it can take a few hours from the first boot for spotlight to reindex the drive and for things to return to normal.

6. jbardi macrumors member

Yeah, initial spotlight database building is going to tax the system, also if you setup TimeMachine, some people have said systems with large files are continuing to backup all the time, so you may check into that.

7. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

For anyone it might help, I eventually traced my problem to some sort of OmniGrowl/iCal glitch.

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I just started having this issue after 1 week in leopard. No ical usage.