CPU power in the MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jlee6890, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jlee6890 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm debating between buying either the MBA 13" w/4GB and the MBP 13" w/SSD.I'm a college student who will be using this mainly for web surfing, word processing, video streaming and watching 720p or 1080p videos. Portability is pretty important to me, because I will be taking my laptop to classes, the library, campus cafe, back to my apartment, etc.

My main issue (and maybe someone can convince me otherwise) with the MBA is the C2D processor compared to the i5 processor. I feel like the C2D processor is way too outdated considering how it's 2011.But then again, I don't plan on keeping my purchase for more than a year because I'm waiting for the MBA update later next year.

Suggestions? Thanks!

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

For the uses you've written about the MBA will be perfect. The MBP does have a much better processor, but you won't notice it unless your doing processor intensive tasks, none of what you mentioned would be processor intensive.

3. jlee6890 thread starter macrumors newbie

^So you think the MBA can run HD videos smoothly?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. simeezee macrumors member

For what you have described, I can do all of that with my base model 11inch MBA without any problems. No need to go for the MBP.

6. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Another vote for the MPA for your needs and HD (1080p) video runs fine.

7. jlee6890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so then do you think 4GB is worth it, or is 2GB good enough? I really need the laptop right now, but I don't plan on keeping it that long (going to resell for the MBA update w/ SB processor later this year).

8. KPOM macrumors G5

If you know you are going to get the SNB update later this year, then just go for the cheapest model you know will work. The 2GB base ought to be fine.

9. simeezee macrumors member

Agreed, 2GB is enough.

10. jlee6890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys, looks like i'm going to buy the MBA!:D

11. wisty macrumors regular

Generally, yes. Some HD stuff will choke it. It depends on the bitrate, codec, etc. There was a thread some time back about a guy who bought a Mini, and felt betrayed that it couldn't run *every* HD video he threw at it. Yes, it will run most HD. But if you get something with a high bit-rate, and a codec that the GPU doesn't recognise, it will choke.

12. jlee6890 thread starter macrumors newbie

^Well I basically watch 720p BluRay rips in mkv.

13. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

The Core Duo is only outdated because there are newer chips out. It still has plenty of power and likely more than you will ever exhaust. There are a lot of factors that go into the overall speed of a computer and with this last redesign Apple has achieved maximum efficiency. You can have a Ferrari with a fast engine, but then cripple it with the kind of transmission you put in it or the type of tires you install. This is what happens with computers. Manufacturers stick a fact cpu in and brag about the speed of that chip, but then cripple the machine with a small or slow cache or crummy graphics or slow hard drive. As I have said here many times before, I would much rather have the Core Duo chip in the MBA along with its generous and fast cache, superior graphics card and SSD drive than an i5 MBP with crummy graphics and mechanical hard drive. To put it yet another way, everything I do on my MBA runs and feels much faster than on my previous 15" MBP.

14. Rolfmaomachizli macrumors member

You pretty much nailed it.....I should be getting my base model 11" MBA and I can't wait.